Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TCW

Could This Possibly Be A Gluten Reaction?

Hi everyone,

I have been gluten-free for about six weeks now, after a diagnosis of "subclinical gluten intolerance" (suspicious biopsy through endoscopy, and negative blood work). I was skeptical re: the diagnosis, but have been MUCH better since gluten-free. (No constipation or diarrhea, no cramping, sleeping for the first time in years, less dry skin...) I figured I was fine and had my solution.

Earlier in the week, I started getting an uncomfortable full feeling. Wednesday I had terrible, urgent watery D (didn't even make it to the restroom) and have been crampy with intermittent episodes ever since. (It's Saturday night.) I've also had body aches and headache, but the stomach pain is the twisting sort that I'd been having prior to going gluten-free. The only think I can think of, is I had some pastrami of unknown origin on Sunday last week. I wonder if that could be it?

But could it take that long for symptoms to hit and would it be so hard for so long? What do you guys think? Also, I had started B complex (Whole Foods) and probiotics (365 WF brand) late last week, too. I've since stopped those. I was already taking iron for anemia.

Thoughts?

I'm trying to figure it our because now I'm freaking out and worried that it may be Crohns or something else. I had had an endoscopy and colonoscopy prior to diagnosis.

Thank you!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The fact that you were feeling better and then suddenly got D again would sound like a glutening to me. The time it takes for a reaction to start after ingesting gluten can vary from just half an hour or so to three days, so it's not impossible.

You might also want to check what else you have been eating, maybe a product you thought was safe isn't after all. Everybody has those surprises in the beginning...

It can take a while to get back on track after a glutening, and I've noticed that I get a "flare up" of symptoms about a week after the initial glutening. So I would wait a couple weeks before starting to freak out that it's anything else.

Pauliina

Join eNewsletter

The fact that you were feeling better and then suddenly got D again would sound like a glutening to me. The time it takes for a reaction to start after ingesting gluten can vary from just half an hour or so to three days, so it's not impossible.

You might also want to check what else you have been eating, maybe a product you thought was safe isn't after all. Everybody has those surprises in the beginning...

It can take a while to get back on track after a glutening, and I've noticed that I get a "flare up" of symptoms about a week after the initial glutening. So I would wait a couple weeks before starting to freak out that it's anything else.

Pauliina

Hi Paulina,

Thanks! That's what I was wondering. I've been really careful, but I'm just figuring this out, so...I'm a little better-- still kind of crampy after 5 days. I was thinking of keeping a food diary for awhile to see any patterns.

Btw, I still haven't quite figured out how this forum works, so I could find any response 'til now. Sorry for the delay! I appreciate your thoughts!

TVS

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter