Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandi*

How About Butter?

I don't do well with dairy. However, I read that butter is not on the same boat as other dairy for dietary purposes. The reason is that the ingredients in dairy that cause allergies and intolerances are proteins and sugars, both of which butter doesn't contain because it's pure fat. That way we should react to it to any other fat/oil. So I'm wondering it butter is safe to eat. I don't just spread it on my bread but some chocolates have butter (milk fat) as an ingredient so I was wondering if those are safe to eat, provided they don't have other "dangerous" ingredients.

I know I should ultimately figure it out myself but I'm still trying to stabilize my gut so I need guidance before experimenting. thanks!

gluten-free since 9/30/09

positive gene test 8/11/09

endoscopy 9/30/09 (awaiting results)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It would depend on why one was avoiding dairy. Butter contains casein. Butter also contains small amounts of lactose, but less than in milk. If one is looking to avoid casein, it is out. If one is looking to avoid lactose, it may be OK in moderate quantities. If one has a dairy allergy, it would be off limits in any case.

Hope this helps.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

I don't do well with dairy. However, I read that butter is not on the same boat as other dairy for dietary purposes. The reason is that the ingredients in dairy that cause allergies and intolerances are proteins and sugars, both of which butter doesn't contain because it's pure fat. That way we should react to it to any other fat/oil. So I'm wondering it butter is safe to eat. I don't just spread it on my bread but some chocolates have butter (milk fat) as an ingredient so I was wondering if those are safe to eat, provided they don't have other "dangerous" ingredients.

I know I should ultimately figure it out myself but I'm still trying to stabilize my gut so I need guidance before experimenting. thanks!

I do think your body will tell you what is right for it. I am dairy and gluten free and I cannot tolerate cow's butter. However, I have just found goat butter at Whole Foods and I can tolerate it! I have also been able to tolerate small amounts of goat/sheep cheese and goat yogurt. Everyone is so different, but it is worth a shot. I didn't start branching out with the alternative dairy sources until I was gluten and dairy free for over six months.

Best wishes!

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie

Join eNewsletter

I had cut back on dairy alot. But now I get real sick, even with butter. I will spare you the terrible details, but it was the sickest I have been in years.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Join eNewsletter

while butter is 'all fat', it's not actually. there's still a small amount of solids - casein and a very very very small amount of lactose in it. so, if you're particularly sensitive to casein, butter is out. in theory, ghee has had all of the solids removed, and should be casein free, but it's a manual process, and it's still something to determine for your own body.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter