Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

:P:lol: i have to say yesterday i was home from work and i wrote to the forum. i am so happy that i did, this forum is just great for a mom of a celiac or gluten free young adult. i thought i as the mom was going to l it this was the second time in my life some one told me that my child had a chronic illness. I also have an iddm son who was diagosned at 13 yeaRS old and is now 31. my daughter is 29 and just found out she is a celiac. she use to tell me thank god it was not me with diabetes i could never handle it now she has to handle much more. this is hard on both my young adults but even harder for me. so now i have friends to talk to amd hope they do too. my son has never excepted his diabetes and has complications but he is to old and married for me to be there to tell him what to do. i tried but he does not listen. i love both my young adults and hope they will be fine. thank celiac forum for listening to me.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Lucky kids they have a caring mother. Be strong, celiac is not so so so bad. Everything will look much better in a few months. Once you get no gluten eveyrhing is back to normal (after a while). I have the same age with your daughter. Tell her not to worry, she is going to be just fine. Feel free to ask any questions.

Meline

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Join eNewsletter

:P:lol: i have to say yesterday i was home from work and i wrote to the forum. i am so happy that i did, this forum is just great for a mom of a celiac or gluten free young adult. i thought i as the mom was going to l it this was the second time in my life some one told me that my child had a chronic illness. I also have an iddm son who was diagosned at 13 yeaRS old and is now 31. my daughter is 29 and just found out she is a celiac. she use to tell me thank god it was not me with diabetes i could never handle it now she has to handle much more. this is hard on both my young adults but even harder for me. so now i have friends to talk to amd hope they do too. my son has never excepted his diabetes and has complications but he is to old and married for me to be there to tell him what to do. i tried but he does not listen. i love both my young adults and hope they will be fine. thank celiac forum for listening to me.

Welcome again, goldshadow

Glad to see you are snooping around the site forums. There's even a search thing, where you can pose a question (think at bottom of each posting) and see if it has been potentially answered before. Your children (agree with Meline) are lucky to have a mom so supportitive. But, then again most mom's are.. its our job to be protective so on.

You will find a lot of support here, for yourself and for your daughter. Not to mention a venting ground, when things drive you a bit crazy (from other people's lack or willingness to obtain knowledge. Gluten/Wheat allergy is one the 7 big ones in terms of food allergies. Yet, the world does seem to pay attention more the peanut allergy one. However, even that one, took a long time of advocating for them. I'm sure one day; gluten allergies will be taken as seriously as the peanuts. :) in the meantime there are forums and local support programs in most major cities.

There are few books out there you may want to try: "The Gluten Free Diet by Shelley Case (dietician) and "More than Rice Cakes: A Young Person's guide to gluten free" I believe that the name of the 2nd book. It was written by a college stutdent, who found out she was celiac in her early 20s. Don't forget the public library too, to borrow a few copies.

And agrees with Meline, it will take a while a couple of months before she is completely gluten free. And its not that bad; I've just been at it a month. I still gluten myself a fair bit (not done intentionally) by simply passing my son one of many cookies :rolleyes: and forgetting to wash my hands :D . It does take practice and a lot of common sense. But, we do get there :D

hugs

44 yr old mom, SAHM (stay at home; aka a Retro Mama :D , 2 special needs kids dd 15yrs ds 4 yrs

Follows Compassion Rules "Treat others; they way you wish to be treated"

blood test negative: celiac However, doctor felt other factors in blood works warranted trying the gluten-free diet

April 7/08 Doctor confirms gluten intolerance/ remain gluten-free for 2 more months; and repeat tests

Gluten free since March 4/2008 (other than accidently, or unknown gluten used--- its a learning process, Gluten is everywhere!)

"People are like stained-glassed windows. Best viewed in the light!" unknown author

"I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, and the hairspray I use" :)

Join eNewsletter

Hi Ivanna, I am new here too. My 19 year old daughter was diagnosed in Feb this year. What an adjustment. Here are some of the good things I see so far. We all eat too much junk and this Celiac stuff makes us choose wisely and eat healthier. We know what we eat b/c we have to read labels and what is in the food we eat and we have to make it from scratch. Less chemicals and preservatives. Less fat from eating fast food. I get to try new recipes that I didn't want to before. My other family members have symptoms and need to be checked now before they develop other diseases. We don't have to waste time, money, suffering b/c of knowing now why they have symptoms, so we can tell the doc what the problem is- no unnecessary surgeries, etc. We can help others from what we have learned. We make new friends and thru them we learn things we never could have before. We are not alone. We can pray for others, cry with them, hug them, share recipes/fears. We have become a family. We learn things fast on this forum that would have taken a life time without it. We are getting help. We are developing compassion. The Bible says to comfort others the way we have been comforted. We can do that! We can share personal things/feelings and others won't look down on us. Our new "family" understands. We are now getting healthier where as before we were getting worse and didn't know it. Praise God!

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Join eNewsletter

oops, sorry I am new, my message of encouragement was meant for Goldshadow. I feel the way you do. Things will get better, your kids have a loving mother!

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter