Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have my annual physical approaching and am wondering if there are any specific blood tests I should request. I have been gluten-free since January and although my test came back negative, I am definately at least sensative to gluten. I just want to make sure I keep tabs on any deficiencies I may be developing due to missing out on the grains. I also lost my gallbladder a year ago.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Since grains are completely unnecessary for a healthy diet (contrary to what grain farmers would like you to believe), I wouldn't worry about developing deficiencies because of not eating grains. If you eat meat, vegetables and fruit, and get enough fat and sunshine, you should be fine, especially if you take a good multi vitamin.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tests I would request due to having gluten sensitivity would be:

thyroid panel, including TSH, free T3 and Free T4 (high correlation with gluten issues and thyroid/adrenal issues)

serum cortisol (ditto above--cortisol tests adrenals)

Iron, iron binding capacity, and ferritin

vitamin D

B12

magnesium

cholesterol panel

What blood test did you have for gluten? The ones you need are gliadin IgA, gliadin IgG, and antitissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG).

good luck!

Liz

I have my annual physical approaching and am wondering if there are any specific blood tests I should request. I have been gluten-free since January and although my test came back negative, I am definately at least sensative to gluten. I just want to make sure I keep tabs on any deficiencies I may be developing due to missing out on the grains. I also lost my gallbladder a year ago.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks

Liz

Positive enterolab results 11/07:

-antigliadin IgA: 56 (normal <10)

-antitissue tTG IgA: 39 (normal <10)

-anti-casein IgA: 34 (normal <10)

-HLA-DQ: 2,1 (2,6)

Positive blood test IgA and IgG 12/07

Gluten-free Casein-free since 12/07

mostly soy free since 12/07

Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 08/07

Diagnosed hypothyroid 01/08

Still have mercury fillings, high mercury and lead

Multiple chemical sensitivities

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.