Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roob

Pos Blood Test Neg Biopsy?

What would explain a positive blood test and a negative biopsy?

I recently had a blood test that showed postitive atibodies for celiac. I underwent a endoscopy yesterday to determine definative diagnosis. I just heard from Dr's assitant that all was negative and no celiac.

Not that I want to have something wrong with me, but I at least thought I had the anser to my aches and now I am back to square one

tests done so far in order

abdominal sonogram - normal

abdominal cat scan - showed diverticulosis -

blood tests - showed + celiac

Fluroscopy - showed normal - no gurd or acid reflux

more blood tests - still waiting

endoscopy - told all normal

Chris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What would explain a positive blood test and a negative biopsy?

I recently had a blood test that showed postitive atibodies for celiac. I underwent a endoscopy yesterday to determine definative diagnosis. I just heard from Dr's assitant that all was negative and no celiac.

Not that I want to have something wrong with me, but I at least thought I had the anser to my aches and now I am back to square one

tests done so far in order

abdominal sonogram - normal

abdominal cat scan - showed diverticulosis -

blood tests - showed + celiac

Fluroscopy - showed normal - no gurd or acid reflux

more blood tests - still waiting

endoscopy - told all normal

Chris

Welcome to the Club Chris. If you had a positive blood test for Celiac - that is your diagnosis.

An endoscopy exam with biopsy can be hit and miss. There are twnty-something feet of intestines and it's highly likely that not all of it is viewable. I had six biopsies and two were positive.

There are currently three ways to diagnosis Celiac:

1. Positive Blood Testing

2. Positive Endo/Biopsy

3. Positive Dietary Response.

The longer you read from this board, you will find that many of our doctors are not well versed in Celiac and its testing.

Here is some information you may be interested in:

http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...C05-Testing.htm

Again, you're one of us now....welcome and how can we help you.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Did your doctor take biopsies? Often it is not possible to see the damage just by looking with a camera, you can see it only under a microscope if the damage is just beginning.

So, your biopsies may still be positive, you won't know until the lab report comes back.

Even with positive blood work, your villi may not be destroyed to the point yet where damage is obvious.

Regardless of the endoscopy results, you need to try the gluten-free diet, to see if it helps. If you feel better being gluten-free, then you have your answer.

Most doctors are very ignorant about celiac disease, and your doctor is apparently no exception. Go with your 'gut' feeling here ;) , and assume you have celiac disease, no matter what your doctor says.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Roob!

I was in your situation eight years ago or so. I had highly positive blood work and a negative intestinal biopsy. They realeased me into the wild and told me I didn't have celiac. They were very wrong. I got incredibly sick in those eight years. I developed DH (confirmed), which is how it finally came to light that I had it all along. I lost a few organs along the way that I might not have had to lose afterall.

The biopsy can be negative because the villi damage is patchy and you have something like 33 feet of intestine. They can miss it easily.

I hope you will not let what happened to me happen to you. The positive bloodwork means you are reacting to gluten like a poison. There are no false positives. Eliminate it.

Lisa