Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmcbride4291

Bacteria?

Something triggered my Celiac disease to jump from 2nd gear to like 5th in a very short period. I have done research and it stated that bacterial infections and basically bacteria itself can do this. Back in November after heat went on is when it flipped. I lost 20lbs. in 2 months, could not walk, had a feeling that only you all could understand, etc. Several doc's no help then finally GI mentioned celiac. After endoscopy, went gluten-free and recoverred. Then for years my children had signs but didn't know it. gluten-free and fine. Then found a lot of mold in the house we rent. Removed a tarp that had mold on of it and uncoverred a whole wall of it. Then found it after knowing what to look foor and hydrogen peroxide test it is on several walls. By uncovering it more particles released into air with nothing to stop it and things went really bad. Not like celiac feeling but emotional disturbances, cramps, clogged noses. My kids pratically attacked each other. Does anyone know about this? Any advice other then the obvious. Landlord is having a non-professional try to clean and per health dept. no law to enforce.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have read of one person who had biopsy-confirmed celiac--or at least, he thought he did, but he wasn't getting better on a gluten-free diet--and then later found out through the Stanford Celiac Clinic that what he actually had was a severe bacterial infection that wiped out his villi in the same way celiac would have.

His infection was successfully treated, and from what I hear, he is eating gluten with no problem, and clear bloodwork.

My understanding is, this is a very unusual case. But it does illustrate what damage bacteria can do to an otherwise healthy person. Throw bacteria--or mold--at a celiac, and I guess possibilities are limitless. Unfortunately.

Chronic mold exposure can have significant impact on health....celiac or not. Its a huge burden on the immune system and when the immune system is compromised anything is a possibilty.

Also, if the body is burdened by mold toxins it becomes more difficult to deal with additional environmental toxins. Toxins can accumulate and detoxification can become impaired when you are exposed to toxic mold on a daily basis. Additionally, you become more susceptible to infections of all kinds...including fungi, viruses, bacteria, parasites, etc.

Rachel

Chronic mold exposure can have significant impact on health....celiac or not. Its a huge burden on the immune system and when the immune system is compromised anything is a possibilty.

Also, if the body is burdened by mold toxins it becomes more difficult to deal with additional environmental toxins. Toxins can accumulate and detoxification can become impaired when you are exposed to toxic mold on a daily basis. Additionally, you become more susceptible to infections of all kinds...including fungi, viruses, bacteria, parasites, etc.

It would seem that the basic consensus is: Get the hell out of there.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill