Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does anyone have any idea what an ELEVATED total IGA means?? this was the only thing out of range on my 4 year old sons tests. i know all about IgA deficiency, but im dealing with the opposite. should i be concerned????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I did a lengthy Google search, and all I could find was, that a high total IgA is associated with autoimmune diseases.

Of course, celiac disease is an autoimmune disease. And we all know that the tests are highly unreliable in young children, which goes for both the blood test and the biopsy. In both false negatives are common.

Personally, seeing a high total IgA, I'd try the gluten-free diet to see if it makes a difference (and make sure you eliminate dairy and soy at the beginning, or else the gluten-free diet may not help).

If the gluten-free diet doesn't make a noticeable difference within three months, you may want to look into other autoimmune diseases.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://health.yahoo.com/blood-diagnosis/im...e--hw41342.html IgA. High levels of IgA may mean monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) or multiple myeloma is present. Levels of IgA also get higher in some autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), and in liver diseases, such as cirrhosis and long-term (chronic) hepatitis.