Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Melissa312

Opinions On Laxatives?

I had a colonoscopy when I first got sick to diagnose me and they used a phospho-soda laxative to cleanse me out. This was before I suspected celiac, and after the colonoscopy I felt much better for about a week before I noticed more symptoms. Now I am constipated nightly and I cannot sleep because I wake up even couple hours feeling like I need to have a bowel movement but then I can't. And when I do it is loose, not like one would experience when constipated. I am wondering if the laxative before helped to clean me out and that is why I was able to feel better and sleep well. What is your advice? Should I try something to see if it will help. I can only sleep for about 3 hours at the most before I wake up and I am getting tired of it!

If I should try something, what would you recommend? Right now I am already taking probiotics and I haven't had any changes in symptoms.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

before becoming dependent on laxatives, which can very much negatively affect your digestive system, I would suggest trying to find out what is causing the constipation. the first suggestion, obviously, is food. (next on my list, but pretty much right at the same level as food, would be to check any meds you might be taking.) for instance, I discovered that i was casein intolerant, and constipation was my main symptom. (not saying it's dairy for you - though all the major allergens are important to test - just that it's a symptom that can come with an intolerance.)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

One suggestion I have is magnesium. Especially the powdered citrate type. Try that in orange juice for maximum effectiveness (and to cover the acidic taste). Capsules can also work, but may not be quite as effective. Many Celiacs are magnesium deficient anyway, and can help you with all sort of problems.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

One suggestion I have is magnesium. Especially the powdered citrate type. Try that in orange juice for maximum effectiveness (and to cover the acidic taste). Capsules can also work, but may not be quite as effective. Many Celiacs are magnesium deficient anyway, and can help you with all sort of problems.

I have a sluggish bowel and often have constipation and I'm on iron supplements. I have increased my magnesium to balance out the irons effects and am way more comfortable now. It works.