Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kritter

Gluten-free Drywall Compound?

Anyone know if there is a gluten-free drywall mud/compound out there that is safe for celiacs to use when remodeling? I got so sick last time we used regular joint compound, I'm not willing to risk it again. I've been searching the internet and can't find a gluten-free one. HELP!

Kritter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest j_mommy

Have you tried wearing a mask and washing up(shower) before you eat anything?

Have you tried wearing a mask and washing up(shower) before you eat anything?

Yes, but it gets into everything - cupboards, blankets, etc. No matter how we tried to seal off the room we were working on, it still got all over the house. That dust is so fine. We cleaned and cleaned and still found it weeks later inside windows that hadn't been opened all winter. What a mess! And not good for us to breath.

That is going to be a toughy. Have you thought of taking a nice vacation while they do it? Seriously though, I would try writing down the manes of the compounds that are in the store and then check them on line. One place that will tell you if many are not safe is the NIH website. You can do a search of their database, it is not all conclusive but is a pretty good one.

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/ingredients.htm

If you need to remodel and must use drywall compound in the house what we used to do was to hang plastic sheets on the doors of the room being worked on (make sure they overhang the jams and remove everything from the room and tape if possible). If you can hang them in a double layer, one layer inside the jam of the room being worked on and one on the outside jam. Then when you go over the compound with the drywall sander wet the drywall compound slightly with a spray bottle of water. Wear gloves, long pants and sleeves and a mask, don't just get one of the usual paper ones get one that looks like a bug with filters inside a 'cup' that you can change. Get the paper booties that go over shoes and make sure folks wear them in the room and perhaps stick a chair right outside so they can take them off and drop them back into the room when leaving it. When the sanding is done for the day use that spray bottle and mist the whole room, that will help to grab the particles and drop them to the floor. Use a shop vac to vacuum the room, have someone preferably other than the celiac doing this, or use a broom to get the big piles and then mop. If the room has carpet I would cover the carpet before starting with plastic sheets. I can't tell you for sure this will keep you safe, but it may help.

If your not working on the kitchen perhaps if you seal that room off also it may help. The dust does get everywhere, I refused to let them use drywall in an addition that we had done after my last experience with it. We used tongue and groove wood on the walls and a composite tongue and groove stuff on the ceiling. It was a lot more work but it came out really nice, maybe you could find an alternative covering? You may have already taken precautions before and not been successful, in which case I really wasted your time reading this, I hope not.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Tounge and groove! That's the ticket! I love the look of it anyway! I know we are required to put up sheetrock over the foam insulation that we had blown in - so that's necessary. But perhaps we can avoid having to use the drywall compound on the joints, which, I think, is where all the dust comes from - by covering the sheetrock with tounge and groove (instead of taping and sanding the sheetrock)and then maybe painting it some fun colors. This is an attic remodel into our master bedroom, and I could really enjoy the look of "wainscoating" or tounge and groove up there!! BRILLIANT!

Tounge and groove! That's the ticket! I love the look of it anyway! I know we are required to put up sheetrock over the foam insulation that we had blown in - so that's necessary. But perhaps we can avoid having to use the drywall compound on the joints, which, I think, is where all the dust comes from - by covering the sheetrock with tounge and groove (instead of taping and sanding the sheetrock)and then maybe painting it some fun colors. This is an attic remodel into our master bedroom, and I could really enjoy the look of "wainscoating" or tounge and groove up there!! BRILLIANT!

Depending on your codes you may also be able to get this stuff that is like a pink sheet material instead of drywall. They use it to wrap under siding on houses. That might work to seal in the foam insulation and as it is thinner it would take up less space. I also really love the look of the tongue and groove and you can get some real nice effects by painting and then wiping the paint back off. Like staining with color. Glad I was helpful and have fun.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)