This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Test Result ?

sazzie

sazzie Rookie

Hi,

I am new to this but was hopping someone could please help me out with my results:

Endomisial A : WEAK (EMA??)

transglutaminase : 5 units

Down the bottom it says that transglutaminase <5 units is neg, 5-8 is weak positive.

Are these two different tests or the one?

What sort of possiblility am i looking at that i do have celiacs?

Any advice is appreciated.

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fedora Enthusiast

These are 2 different tests. You had a weak positive to both. celiac is a possibility. some people have negative blood tests and you had some raised levels.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

jsalinas0313
    Newest Member
    jsalinas0313
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Katiec123
      @cristiana I’ve got an appointment with the midwife next week so will speak to her then. Waiting for gp to get back to me. I’ve made the decision today to cut gluten out regardless due to the risks I’ve read about 
    • cristiana
      Hi Katie I am so sorry you had two miscarriages in the past.  Try not to worry, though, because it could be that they were unrelated, perhaps? Well done for contacting your GP.  Is it possible that you can speak to your midwife in the meantime for a chat?    Cristiana  
    • Katiec123
      @cristiana hi!  the things I’ve read online about having untreated coeliac disease whilst pregnant has really scared me and made me very hesitant to continue eating it. I feel like the best option might be to eliminate gluten from my diet now and then continue with testing after I’ve given birth. I’ve got in touch with my gp and am due to get a phone call back on Monday. Really worried now as I’ve had 2 miscarriages in the past 
    • cristiana
      @Katiec123 Welcome to the forum. I started to have symptoms related to coeliac disease (mouth ulcers, aura migraines etc) but no gastric symptoms during my first pregnancy.  That went to term, in fact, I was 10 days over and had to be induced.  But my second baby, born 21 months later, arrived at 33 weeks.  He's now doing well, and taller than all of us - it was just an earlier than expected arrival! I agree, it would not be wise to eat gluten  if there is any suspicion that you have coeliac disease during a pregnancy.   It would of course be good to know for sure, one way or another, because I believe coeliacs receive extra monitoring during pregnancy in many countries.   I think it may be well worth asking your GP if you can be referred to a gastroenterologist for a formal diagnosis asap.   By the way you spell 'coeliac' I'm guessing you are posting from the UK?  If that is the case, the NHS may rush things along for you, I suspect they will.  If it appears that they cannot refer you urgently, if you have the money for a private consultation it might be well worth it, as there is a trend here in the UK (I'm British) to diagnose coeliacs without the need for an endoscopy if the blood test results are compelling. Sounds like this is the case for you.  If you can see a gastroenterologist privately s/he might be able to diagnose you there and then (make sure you take a printout of your blood tests). Generally, there is a lot of support for coeliacs through the NHS, with a nutritionist, annual reviews and blood tests to check for diet compliance and health related issues, DEXA scans to check bone density, extra vaccinations where indicated and in some areas, certain gluten free food available on prescription.  So for lots of reasons, if you can get a diagnosis it's worth it. I hope all goes well with your appointment, let us know how you get on.
    • Shireen32
      Hi , since being gluten free I am still having bad stomach problems . Such as constant gas in my stomach 24/7 ,burning, constant bubbling noises coming from my stomach and gurgling sounds that never stop .Pain under the left side of my rib cage when ever I eat and just always there’s pain there  .  My symptoms have not improved at all since being gluten free.  Could this be refractory coeliac disease ?? How is that even diagnosed or confirmed  ?  I had tests recently and this is what they say :Endomysial abs (IgA) -Positive  TTG abs (IgA)U/ml : My result is : 0.9 U/ml The Range:0 - 10 U/ml What does this mean pls ??? How can I still test positive for Endomysial abs when I am gluten free and am very careful about cross contamination? Do I even have coeliac disease I’m convinced some other digestive disorder is causing these symptoms .   I also have not had a endoscopy and now the gastroenterologist calls me after one year ( I’m from the uk and have free healthcare which has been such a nightmare with all this and never help me  )  so as I am gluten free the gastroenterologist advised me to start eating gluten again to be referred for a biopsy .. Is a biopsy even worth me doing ? The only proof I have is when I was eating gluten I could never get my ferretin , vitamin d and folate levels up . And since being gluten free these have gone up a little bit  . But that doesn’t always mean coeliac as I know gluten stops absorption in even normal people  . Pls can anyone shed some light it’s much needed ! And share some advice or answer my questions above . I have no idea with this whole coeliac stuff and am very much struggling .Much Appreciated .