Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedora

Total Iga Levels

I don't know much about this. My daughter's total IgA was 57 in a range of 41-368.

This is not deficient, but is at the low levels of normal. does that matter?

Any info is appreciated.

They only ran the tTg IgA test and no others. I requested the others and told they would be run. ugh. so then after they told me she didn't have celiac I had the enterolab test done on her. Her gluten antibodies were 9 with 9 and under being negative.

So I don't know what to think. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It seems to me that it is possible that a low total IgA (even though it is officially still considered normal) could cause a false negative on the tTg IgA test.

If your daughter has symptoms that could point to a gluten intolerance, I would try the gluten-free diet to see if it helps her health issues. If it does, then you have your answer, namely that she is sensitive to gluten.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She wanted proof to stop eating gluten. I can control what she eats when I am around, but she comes home with bagels and such from school. I pack her lunch so I know that is gluten free. I think she has noticed a difference enough having very limited gluten the last month to do a gluten free diet and then challenge it. I just wanted a definate answer for her.

pork and beef free- 1994

I understand what you are saying. I don't believe my youngest daughter (16) would have started the gluten-free diet without her Enterolab results being positive, and what really convinced her was her high malabsorption score.

If her gluten antibodies were a 9, that is just below the 'official' limit, but still suggests a reaction.

Would you be able to motivate her another way to give the gluten-free diet a proper trial? I don't know what motivates her, but a reward for staying strictly on the gluten-free diet without cheating for, lets say, a month that really pleases her might work.

Of course, you have to know if she would cheat outside the house and claim she didn't. If you know she usually tells you the truth, then it could work.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reward is a great idea. I think she would definately stick to it for something good. Thanks for the idea.

She has been coming around to it slowly. At first she didn't want to go gluten free. Then one day her twin brother had had enough and told her she should just go gluten free cause she is so cranky!! She said ok. Things got better. I will definately try the reward. She does have symptoms: mouth sores, delayed growth(she was little to begin with) and cranky,moody behavior. I have only been off gluten for 4plus months, so I was getting accustomed to it. I think that scared her seeing how hard it is for me to eat out.

Thanks again.

pork and beef free- 1994

You could explain to her that since you have been through the learning curve for yourself, it will be so much easier for her, because she can benefit from what you already know. Therefore, there won't be as many mistakes, and eating out won't be a big problem, either.

It sounds like you have an ally in your son, which is great.