This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Middleton Tavern, Annapolis, Md

Bike2work4me

Bike2work4me Newbie

I just spent a wonderful weekend in Annapolis, MD with my girlfriends from college. I was able to eat gluten-free with no problems until Saturday night. We chose to go to Middleton Tavern in the historic area of Annapolis because it looked like there would be seafood or steak choices for me. I ordered a steak with no "secret spices" and no Bearnaise sauce with a baked potato on the side. I had the waitress check with the chef that this would be a safe choice for me. Basically, I was getting a steak, some asparagus, and a baked potato. The first time they made my meal it had sauce on it, so I had to wait while my friends were served their dinners and mine was remade. When mine finally came out there was no sauce but the steak had the "secret spices" on it AND there were mashed potatoes on the plate. At that point I was told by the manager that there were no substitutions and that I couldn't have a baked potato. The waitress had asked me for my potato order back when we did the original ordering. I was given a choice then of baked, mashed, twice-baked, etc.

I told him to take my meal away and calmly tried to explain to him why it was so important that they get my meal right. His response was that "sometimes I eat out and I don't feel like French Fries but I eat them anyway." I was furious. :angry: I had waited over an hour and never did get to eat dinner. He just didn't get it and never will.

Do not eat at Middleton Tavern in Annapolis, MD.

Gretchen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

babysteps Contributor

bummer!

Could you share some of the restaurants that you did enjoy over the weekend?

I've decided when it comes to restaurants, it is "attitude" over "aptitude" - that is, the question isn't are they *able* to make a gluten-free meal for us, it is are they *willing* to. Most pizza places and bakeries excepted (all that airborne wheat flour)...

• 2 years later...
G-Free in Annapolis Newbie

Annapolis is great in general for gluten free eating. I live downtown and have had great experiences at PF Chang if you want a chain. For local places (which I prefer) there's Federal house for good burgers w/o bun or salads. Lemon Grass for great Thai food. Tsunami for sushi. Upscale places like the Chart House and Ruth's Chris will take good care of you for a special occasion. Most places are happy to help... I've learned not to eat at Bars downtown or at O'Briens. Annapolis is fairly health conscious.

Archived