Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

donnal

Riskiness

After reading many posts and also links on celiac.com I have realized that celiac has quite a number of potential adverse co-morbidities such as lymphoma, osteoporosisi, other inflammatory processes (RA, etc, seem to have links to celiac disease) so my question is: since I have had neg endoscopy and neg blood tests (IgA etc) but do seem to feel better (have been labeled IBS_C) when gluten-free, would I have a risk of these more seious diseases if I were to eat gluten once in a while. I know I'd most likely pay the piper stomach-pain wise but that would be OK if I knew I weren't doing "real" damage. I didn't know if there has been any research on gluten intolerant folks or just on certifiable celiacs. Thanks for any help. by the way, I do have osteopenia but I am small built (5'4" and 103 lb--having a bit of trouble keeping the weight on with gluten-free eating but will get better--am learning to eat more things with the flour mixes).

Donna Edinger

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would not advise occasionally cheating. The autoimmune reaction will remain active if you do. You also run the chance of triggering some of the more serious illnesses that come from noncompliance. The fact that you are small and stuggling to keep weight on says to me that you perhaps are not fully healed yet. Have all your symptoms resolved? Have you had any accidental glutenings yet? If so how bad was your reaction? If you haven't had any accidental glutenings yet chances are that after you do your body will tell you what a bad idea cheating is.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)