Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A-Swiss

Wheat Free Vs Gluten Free

I know this is answered somewhere in this site, but I am just learning. I was 100% officially diagnosed yesterday (really 2 weeks ago, but this was the final visit to see what happened). In that 2 weeks I have begun to notice that several items say wheat free and make no mention of gluten. However, through some investigating on a Newman's Cookie box, I noticed that it said "Wheat Free, not a gluten free product". Is this the universal answer? Is it safe to assume that complex foods (those with more than 2 ingredients) should say "gluten free" if they are? Help!

A Good Friend can keep a secret. A Best Friend will help you bury the bodies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

No, they won't necessarily say gluten free. The USA is still in the early stages of trying to figure out what "determines" gluten free. You can have two items that are both gluten free, but one may be listed and one isn't.

Something can be wheat free, but not gluten free (because it still may have rye, barley, barley malt, or oats)

Wheat Free is not necessarily gluten free. Always read the ingredients. In my experience most products labeled "Wheat Free" are not gluten free but is always worth checking.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

That was my fear. It's hard enough trying to figure this out. Add that to the list of things that kick me the crotch!

Wheat Free is not necessarily gluten free. Always read the ingredients. In my experience most products labeled "Wheat Free" are not gluten free but is always worth checking.

Ok, here's a twist - I read another label that didn't have a single item that seemed to have gluten in it (it was a broc/cheese/rice/chicken mixture). It itemized out every part and I checked it against the list of hidden issues (soy sauce, ect). It passed. However, it had a warning against wheat, egg, and peanut allergies. So should I also assume that this is another thing to look for?

Depends on what the warning said. Did the warning say it was produced in a plant or on equipment that also processes wheat? Some people can tolerate products made this way and some can not.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

Depends on what the warning said. Did the warning say it was produced in a plant or on equipment that also processes wheat? Some people can tolerate products made this way and some can not.

Actually, it didn't say anything other than "Allegen Warning: Wheat, egg, peanut". Other than that, it was just information about the product and how to cook it. I have seen the other warnings, but I see just the allergen warning more than the one about the manufacturing process.

Wouldn't touch it. I think this is the warning now required on food product to warn against the most common allergies.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years