Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vmlehtonen

Anyone Else Iga Deficient?

Daughter and myself having celiac symptoms, but we are BOTH IgA deficient. I am having trouble getting the doctors to order the right blood tests. My daughter had her AGA IgG come back high (22, normal is 0-10). But that is the only indicator that she may have celiac. There is conflicting journal articles to whether AGA IgG is a good measure for IgA deficient individuals....so I want her pediatrician and my doctor to order TtG IgG, EMA IgG, AGA IgG. Is that too much to ask? Anyone else have to order these special blood tests due to IgA deficiency? Does her positive AGA mean that she is most likely celiac?

Thanks,

Vickie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes of course the right procedure ifor them is to order all the other celiac tests in the IgG version, here in Europe it is routine that hte lab does the IgG version if one is IgA deficient.

The antigliadin IgG is said to be not so very specific for celiac, that is all. It may be elevated sometimes if allergic to milk or in some cases of parasites I think I read.

The biopsy is the gold standard.

http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/abstra...m.2008.103606v1 about IgA deficiencand celiac testing

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)