This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! I Have Been Glutened!

DMS

DMS Newbie

:(

Help! I was just reading Simprofessuers story of going to the ER with what she thought was gallstones. I was "glutened" at a party yesterday and have literally spend the whole day in bed with tremendous pain (stomach and whole body aches- runny tummy - and unfightable fatigue) IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP MYSELF get thru this?? I have been gluten free for 7 months and have never had such a bad reaction..... This is the pits!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If your body is okay with asprin Pepto Bismal, name brand, usually helps my stomach pain with one dose. The body pain unfortunately I haven't found any relief for so hopefully someone else will chime in with something other than a warm bath as a suggestion.

YoloGx Rookie

Pepto Bismol is good in a pinch, I agree. The tabs are good to carry around in your purse just in case.

Studies have shown that both pro-biotics (from yogurt etc. or best eneterically coated pills with several strains in them) and bromelain (from pineapple) and papain (from papaya) help considerably. These last two take down the inflammation. The pro-biotics help normalize the flora and seem to lessen the reaction. It may have something to do with northern peoples living a large part of the year on fermented reindeer milk.

I have also found taking fibronylitic agents like nattokinase or serrapeptase or the like reduces the damage to the intestinal villi and resultant scar tissue.

I think dandelion and milk thistle might aggravate the D--though once the D is don, its good to take to help out your liver and avoid systemic inflammation. Alternatively you could use cleavers and/or echinacea both of which relieve the lymphatic system and thus in that way inflammation to the joints etc.

You can also use more nerve strengthening herbs like skullcap, lavender and chamomile and gut calming herbs like peppermint and marshmallow root (marshmallow root also reduces the inflammation).

Meadowsweet and/or agrimony will help against the D. Blackberry leaf and/or root is also good for this too...

My best advice is just try a little first to see what does and what does not agree with you...and in what dosage. Start small first if you tend to be really sensitive.

There are also pills called Gluten-Zyme and the like which do help. I think taking enzymes in general like pancreatin as well as the bromelain/papain and pro-biotics form the essence of this and other like products.

Good luck!

Bea

DMS Newbie

THANK YOU!! To everyone who responded on how to help yourself after accidental gluten exposure. I definitely am freaked out (and even a little bit frightened) to know that I can be so vulnerable ... I truly lost and entire day without any notice... but I will definitely explore the suggestions that you have offered to try and get myself back on track ... and please know that just knowing that you are out there, is comforting... and hopefully we can all help each other thru this challenging lifestyle...

Thankyou again for your suggestions & support

DMS :

purple Community Regular

We like how probiotics work for tummy aches before getting off gluten, back when we could eat out and would get belly aches from it.

YoloGx Rookie

Glad to be of help. I have been through the mill too and know all too intimately how it can get. It does get better however as time goes on. The CC reaction becomes less awful over time usually. Still important to avoid it however. Just taking live unsweetened yogurt and fresh pineapple and papaya in a pinch has really helped me when I couldn't get to any supplements...plus some mint, chamomile and fresh lavender...

Bea

Archived