Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MizGriz

Celiac And Diabetes

OK, I was biopsy-diagnosed with celiac disease in 1998 after losing 75 pounds in about 3 months when my husband decided dating while he was married was a good idea. I chalked the weight loss up to stress but when I broke the 100 pounds (going down of course) marker, my docs decided to look for another cause. My GI gleefully announced, "YOU HAVE CELIAC DISEASE!" and handed me a one-page sheet of things not to eat.

In the years since I've educated myself a lot. I've had another GI tell me that because I passed the blood test I didn't have celiac - until he did another biopsy after a gluten challenge and then confirmed I did. My last endoscopy was about 18 months ago and my original GI (the gleeful guy) said if he hadn't seen the original biopsy, he'd say I never had celiac disease because my gut looked great. (Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of the diet to HEAL the gut??)

So I'm happy as a clam that all is well and WHAM! I'm diagnosed with diabetes. Now despite having a nice-looking gut per my GI, I still have issues with constipation/diarrhea and they do not seem to be related to what I eat. I have what I call "dump day" where for hours I just empty my colon again and again and again. It leaves me drained. I usually try to eat a bland diet... rice ... that day.

After chasing the latest round of why I feel like crud, the diabetes was discovered. I'm still learning about diabetes.... but what I did learn is that my diet that is heavy in rice (rice crackers, rice bread, rice cereal, rice rice) is a no-no. I'm almost afraid to eat anything.

I'm wondering and I'm sure there are, but do any of you deal with celiac AND diabetes and if so-- WHAT THE HECK DO YOU EAT??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have found that most grains raise my BS too much. Especially the flours....way too much.

So I am sticking with all meats, eggs, nuts & seeds, fruits, veggies and for carbs I am eating squashes/sweet potatoes (but not too much on the carbs). This keeps me stable. I eat 5 meals a day spaced out.

Most importantly I EXERCISE everyday. I find that walking keeps my BS more stable than any other exercise.

Also VERY IMPORTANT to stay hydrated. If you become dehydrated it concentrates the sugar in your blood.

You need fiber. Consider adding chia seeds and flax seeds to your diet. Ground up and added to things works well. Or you can be a weirdo like me and just mix em with water, let sit for 5 minutes and chug em down. ;)

Eating vinegar with meals also helps. A nice tossed salad with vinegarette. Just avoid balsalmic (too sweet).

And if you eat potatoes...eat them cold like potato salad as this moderates their BS response.

Beans!!!! Chana Dal is excellent and delicious!!

They have now discovered that artificial sweetners make diabetes worse. Avoid them at all costs. Instead use Stevia.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!