Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gdub16

Diary And Soy Questions

When I was tested for Celiac I also did a lactose intorrlent blow test. That came back negative. I have seen posts statiing once you go on gluten free diet you might intially have reaction to diary, is that correct? Stupid quesiton how do you avoid diary? and when people referr to Soy are we just talking about soy sauce or are there a lot of products that include Soy?

Going on about 4 days on gluten-free diet. I noticed a little more irratiability, seem to have more problems sleeping and I am always hungry. I have notice that my head seems to be a little more clearer, although after eating at Chipotle's I feel a little foggy than I have the last couple day's.

Another Random questions, do people typically gain or loose wait on gluten-free diet. My stomach is feeling a little larger and bloated the last couple of days.

I didn't have severe symptoms to glueton so my diagnoses was pretty surprising. I used to eat everything, it feels really strange having to watch everything I eat now. I find myself obsessing over what to eat now, I went to wegmans and got frustrated and came out with only a box of gluten free breakfeast bars, which I might add taste like sh@#.

Another Random questioned. If Celiac's is supposedly hereditary I don't recall my parents having any symptons or issues. Although my mother did die at an early age from Alzheimer's so hard to say on her side of the family

Sorry for rambling but being gluten-free sucks had to start drinking Wine. Plus side is I get drunk a lot quicker on on wine.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Lactose (milk sugar) is initially a problem for many people because the enzyme that breaks it down (lactase) is produced on the tips of the villi. When the villi get blunted from celiac, you are not producing lactase. Many GI doctors recommend that people avoid lactose for the first 6 months or so after diagnosis. I never seemed to have a problem with dairy products, and neither did my son. You can avoid dairy the same way you avoid gluten - by reading labels. The good thing about dairy is that it is considered a top allergen, so it has to be declared on ingredient labels. This is not necessarily true about gluten. Wheat has to be declared, but barley, rye and oats do not.

Soy sensitivity is highly individual. Many people with soy intolerance can tolerate small amounts of things like soy lecithin, but not other soy products. You will have to see if it is a problem for you. You can do this by eliminating all soy products (soy sauce, TVP, soy lecithin, everything) from your diet for a period of time, and then eating something with soy in it to see if you react. Soy is one of the top 8 allergens, so it has to be declared. Some people have problems with soy, but I would not say it is the majority. Soy has never been an issue for me.

Celiac has a genetic basis. General population risks of having it are believed to be around 1:133. First degree relatives (parents, children, siblings) of a celiac have about a 1:22 chance. It would be wise for all your first degree relatives to be tested. Either of your parents could have it, or not have it. The genes for celiac are present in something like 30% of the population. For some people like you and me, the genes get triggered and start the autoimmune response. For many, they never do. Since you say your symptoms are not severe, it may be that your parents had it as well, but were asymptomatic.

PS - there are a bunch of gluten-free beers out there. I don't drink, so I can't vouch for the taste, but I'm sure someone will chime in on that score. :)

Hang in there.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Most processed foods contain soy. If you're worried about being intolerant to soy and dairy, you can make your diet very simple for a while. This will help ease the frustration of grocery shopping as well (you don't have to read labels on fruit, veggies, meats, rice, beans etc.). You'll get the hang of it eventually and you'll figure out what works for you. It just takes some trial and error and involves a bit of a learning curve.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates