Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sickchick

For Those Of Us In The Early Stages Of Healing

It came to my attention in a post a week ago that pre-manufactured gluten free breads & cookies, were off-limits because they are too dense and re-damage the healing vili

Does that include the heavier, grainier pastas? or brown rice cakes?

thx,

sickchick :)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

While the villi are healing, it is best to start with simple foods and avoid lactose. This will be easier to digest.

I have never seen anything to say that "dense" food will injure the villi due to being dense. Can you share your source for this? Obviously gluten will cause damage, but we're talking about gluten-free foods here.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Yes, Peter is right. I'm thinking that whoever wrote that meant that the baked goods and things made with the alternative gluten-free grains are sometimes hard to digest for someone who has not had a chance to heal yet.

If someone is having problems in the beginning of the gluten-free diet, I will suggest a simple diet of whole foods like meats, poultry, fruits and veggies. Packaged gluten-free foods and gluten-free baked goods won't injure your villi, but could still upset your stomach.

Cutting out dairy foods for the first few months is also a good idea because the damaged villi can't digest it properly. Most can add it back in later--unless, of course they are or find themselves sensitive to casein (the milk protein), in which case they need to stay off of it indefinately.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I read it here maybe I mis-read the reply LOL! B)

I thought it said people new to the diet (for the first 6 months) need to avoid the pre-made gluten free breads and cookies because (what I thought I read) it was too dense and redamaged the newly healing vili

:lol:B)

your favrorite gluten free dork ;)

sickchick

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

I read it here maybe I mis-read the reply LOL! B)

I thought it said people new to the diet (for the first 6 months) need to avoid the pre-made gluten free breads and cookies because (what I thought I read) it was too dense and redamaged the newly healing vili

:lol:B)

your favrorite gluten free dork ;)

sickchick

I do think that you need some time to forget what real bread, pasta and cookies taste like, in order to appreciate the gluten free versions. :rolleyes:

As the others mentioned, with a compromised gut, it helps to feed it foods that are easily digested.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien