Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lovely laura

Celiac And Ovarian Cysts

I just spent some time in the ER due to a ruptured cyst. I was curious about two things. First, are celiac disease and ovarian cysts at all related to each other? Secondly, if I can't have gluten, is the birth control pill safe to have? Any answers would be much appreciated! You can email at im_a_christ_lover@yahoo.com.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just spent some time in the ER due to a ruptured cyst. I was curious about two things. First, are celiac disease and ovarian cysts at all related to each other? Secondly, if I can't have gluten, is the birth control pill safe to have? Any answers would be much appreciated! You can email at im_a_christ_lover@yahoo.com.

Hi Laura,

I'm not sure if ovarian cysts and celiac are related, but you can have BC pills as long as they are gluten free. I am on Portia, and as far as I know, Yaz is also gluten free.

Hope thats helps!

-Kim

~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008

9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)

Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines

July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"

Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"

Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301

Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history

National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer

I'm not sure if they're related either. My cousin thought she had celiac disease about a year ago...ended up BEING an ovarian cyst (18 1/2 lbs...one of the largest recorded!!). It was scary. But she and her mom both have a wheat allergy (that gives them a skin rash...my thoughts are still on celiac, but I suppose I'm biased).

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

ovary cysts are common. They come and go. I had one and then after awhile it went away. I was told this was common too.

My sister has one now that is big though-softballsize. They are trying to shrink it with BC pills.

If you find out anything please post. My sister would never get tested for celiac, not unless she was dying. She loves her beer, bread, etc too much.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008