Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bridy

Can Someone Explain Blood Test Results To Me?

long story short.

My daughter who will be 2 was sent for a basic food panel allergy test by a Natural Pathic Dr. we sent her to.

We got the results yesterday by the secretary but the Dr. is on holidays for 2 weeks and I didn't want to wait any longer. So I drove to the clinic, picked up the results and I was hoping someone would know something about these tests.

The tests say that the MVL allergy procedure uses both IgE and IgG4 antibodies for combined testing. what does this mean?

The numbers very for every different food product are are under a list of insignificant, moderate or significant.

She tested significant for all dairy products.

But there are a few items that came back Equivocal, and one of them being Gluten, but wheat was negative.

My daughter has also been seen by a endocrinologist who sent her for celiac testing and she will also be getting a biopsy done.

Does anyone have any experience with allergy tests and these kinds of results? What are the odds that she could have celiac's but it not show on the allergy tests?

We have not taken gluten out of her diet and don't plan to until after the biopsy.

Thank you for your time!

Bridy mom to:

Dorian 8.29.04

Carissa 8.14.06 - Diary free 8.9.08

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The tests say that the MVL allergy procedure uses both IgE and IgG4 antibodies for combined testing. what does this mean?

It means that they are testing for two different types of antibodies. IgE antibodies indiacte a "true" allergy....this is the type that most people are familiar with.

IgG antibodies indicate a sensitivity or intolerance to that food. These types of intolerances can go away and are usually caused by some underlying issue (such as leaky gut). IgG reactions are usually delayed whereas IgE reactions are immediate.

The numbers very for every different food product are are under a list of insignificant, moderate or significant.

She tested significant for all dairy products.

Do the results specify whether the reaction is IgE or IgG mediated?

Does anyone have any experience with allergy tests and these kinds of results? What are the odds that she could have celiac's but it not show on the allergy tests?

The odds are very high because Celiac is not an allergy.....its an autoimmune disease. Celiac cannot be diagnosed with allergy or food intolerance testing.

Rachel

It means that they are testing for two different types of antibodies. IgE antibodies indiacte a "true" allergy....this is the type that most people are familiar with.

IgG antibodies indicate a sensitivity or intolerance to that food. These types of intolerances can go away and are usually caused by some underlying issue (such as leaky gut). IgG reactions are usually delayed whereas IgE reactions are immediate.

Do the results specify whether the reaction is IgE or IgG mediated?

The odds are very high because Celiac is not an allergy.....its an autoimmune disease. Celiac cannot be diagnosed with allergy or food intolerance testing.

Thank you for the explination.

No unfortunitly they do not specify anything but a result number and clinical significance. Should I call the Lab that did the testing since I have to wait so long to see the Dr?

Bridy mom to:

Dorian 8.29.04

Carissa 8.14.06 - Diary free 8.9.08