Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

samcarter

Gluten And Sugar Cravings

Has anyone noticed their cravings for sugar increasing after a glutening episode? I wonder if this is due to malabsorption/mineral imbalance, or the gluten creating kind of an addiction situtation.

All I know is, after being glutened yesterday I am going nuts for sugar today. Definitely not good for me. :(

Negative EMA test 8/08

Gluten free 8/08

Positive response to dietary change

Dairy free 3/09

Citrus free 5/09

Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Has anyone noticed their cravings for sugar increasing after a glutening episode? I wonder if this is due to malabsorption/mineral imbalance, or the gluten creating kind of an addiction situtation.

All I know is, after being glutened yesterday I am going nuts for sugar today. Definitely not good for me. :(

This is purely theoretical, but I'd bet you're a fledgling diabetic.

Gluten is an opioid. It mimics human endorphin.

Again ......theoretical: Gluten plugs into the nerve cells interspersed in the pancreas islet cell. It fools the pancreas into chemically thinking the muscles are in fight-or-flight mode. The pancreas responds with a constant flood of insulin. Insulin tells fat cells to stop releasing fat. All cells are then forced to receive energy from blood sugar.

Sugar is addictive.

You removed the gluten from your pancreas nerve cells. They no longer think your muscles are in fight-or-flight mode, and they've told the pancreas to stop releasing insulin. Your insulin levels have fallen. Your fat cells are taking in sugar and releasing fat. Your blood sugar concentration is dropping, and cells all over your body are having to consume a little fat with their sugar.

Your cells were addicted to an all-sugar diet. They are in withdrawal, and don't like it.

Hang in there. Exercise. Eat plenty of starches like corn and rice with your meat, fat and veggies. Then slowly cut back on the starches. The digestive system converts starches into blood sugar, but at a regulated rate.

I had that same problem going gluten-free, and I'm pretty sure I'm not diabetic.

First I craved sugar, then I craved protein. Eventually everything evened out.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

This is purely theoretical, but I'd bet you're a fledgling diabetic.

Gluten is an opioid. It mimics human endorphin.

Again ......theoretical: Gluten plugs into the nerve cells interspersed in the pancreas islet cell. It fools the pancreas into chemically thinking the muscles are in fight-or-flight mode. The pancreas responds with a constant flood of insulin. Insulin tells fat cells to stop releasing fat. All cells are then forced to receive energy from blood sugar.

Sugar is addictive.

You removed the gluten from your pancreas nerve cells. They no longer think your muscles are in fight-or-flight mode, and they've told the pancreas to stop releasing insulin. Your insulin levels have fallen. Your fat cells are taking in sugar and releasing fat. Your blood sugar concentration is dropping, and cells all over your body are having to consume a little fat with their sugar.

Your cells were addicted to an all-sugar diet. They are in withdrawal, and don't like it.

Hang in there. Exercise. Eat plenty of starches like corn and rice with your meat, fat and veggies. Then slowly cut back on the starches. The digestive system converts starches into blood sugar, but at a regulated rate.

I have heard about gluten being an opoid. Not sure about the borderline diabetic, though. When my dr did my one piddly celiac blood test, he also had my non-fasting blood sugar tested; it was 127. If i had been fasting, that would have been borderline diabetes, but I had had breakfast a few hours before. :huh:

Negative EMA test 8/08

Gluten free 8/08

Positive response to dietary change

Dairy free 3/09

Citrus free 5/09

Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.