Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

samcarter

Withdrawal Symptoms

So! I could probably just search on here for "withdrawal from gluten" but I would much rather whine about the constant headache behind my eyes I've had since cutting gluten out for good. My energy level is much better, and some horrible aches and pains that were getting bad are lessening. But the headache, oh my gosh. It's right behind my eyes and nose, and I've had a wee bit of drainage, but not much to speak of. It just feels like sinus inflammation, which I am all too familiar with--the kind that occasionally gets so bad it feels like you have a piano wire in there that somebody just plucked. Ow. :blink:

Anybody else have weird symptoms that showed up after you cut out gluten? Is there a withdrawal period, since the body was addicted to it?

Negative EMA test 8/08

Gluten free 8/08

Positive response to dietary change

Dairy free 3/09

Citrus free 5/09

Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is often a withdrawl period and the effects are different for a lot of folks. If you feel the discomfort is due to inflammation an anti-inflammatory might help. I usually just take asprin. If the discharge you are having is yellow or greenish, if you have a fever, if you have a nasty taste in your mouth, or if the pain escalates do see a doctor. You may have a sinus infection that is completely independant of the gluten withdrawl.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

So! I could probably just search on here for "withdrawal from gluten" but I would much rather whine about the constant headache behind my eyes I've had since cutting gluten out for good. My energy level is much better, and some horrible aches and pains that were getting bad are lessening. But the headache, oh my gosh. It's right behind my eyes and nose, and I've had a wee bit of drainage, but not much to speak of. It just feels like sinus inflammation, which I am all too familiar with--the kind that occasionally gets so bad it feels like you have a piano wire in there that somebody just plucked. Ow. :blink:

Anybody else have weird symptoms that showed up after you cut out gluten? Is there a withdrawal period, since the body was addicted to it?

Hi Samcarter,

It's not unusual to feel 'Worse' before you feel better, here's an article,

a collection of other peoples experiences about going Gluten Free.

Adverse reactions to starting the Gluten Free Diet

As regards feeling like you're going through a withdrawl, you're sooo right.

Opiate Withdrawal from Gluten and Casein?

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

David

Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.

Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests

Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.

Self Taught Baker.

Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

Well, the headache is finally gone--after a week. Looking back I think it was either one of a few things:

1) Too much coffee--I had taken to drinking coffee every morning due to my extreme fatigue, but since going off gluten the fatigue is much reduced. Maybe my body just can't tolerate coffee every day. I started drinking tea instead a few days ago. I had never been a coffee drinker.

2) Sinus infection--my husband said he was fighting something off (had a lot of blood come out of his nose, which for him is a sign that he's fighting an infection); he's better now.

3) Shrinking polyps. I was told that after my many sinus infections in high school that I had a "permanent" polyp in my left sinus (which was kind of where the headache was localized). I'm wondering if it's possible that going off the gluten is finally reducing the inflammation there--it certainly felt very weird, like something was pulling away or being squeezed in there.

In any case, I'm just glad to not have that nausea-inducing headache anymore!

Negative EMA test 8/08

Gluten free 8/08

Positive response to dietary change

Dairy free 3/09

Citrus free 5/09

Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

Hi

Just thought i would add a comment to this thread. i went gluten-free from monday this week following positive blood test and awaiting biopsy result, but have found these past 4 days almost impossible to cope with, stomach pains and bloating just as bad, with a headache lasting days, seems to be easing now a little. im sure this must be some kind ofdetox reaction, ive tried today to really increase fluid intake to flush out toxins. sincerely hope it gets no worse.

Poppins