Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blessings

Starting To Stress Over Going To My Parents For Chirstmas

What to do for trip to Vegas for week long family gathering?

I will be meeting a new sister in law and my other brothers girlfriend.

I don't want to be the trouble maker.

Anyone know of any trustworthy gluten-free places in Vegas?

Ohhhh the buffets and all the old family favorites.

My last visit, in March, was when I was first diagnosed and still learning. They didn't get it at that time and it was only me visiting. I just can't handle group situations, being different, making a fuss over me, or asking 20 questions. What am I going to do? :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can you bring your own food and disposable dishes? That's pretty much what we do. And instead of eating out with everyone, we offer to meet after the meal for drinks or something fun like a movie or bowling.

We are flying from CO Springs so bringing my own stuff won't work. I know I can get stuff while I am there. There has to be a whole food store around. I think my whole issue is being different. We will go do things but everone still gets together for the meals. My dad makes the best late night snack plates with french bread, specialty cheeses, fruits and other goodies. Major CC all over their kitchen. Always bread, crackers and cookies. MMMM! I guess I will make a shopping list for when I get there.

They're going to ask way more than 20 questions, the entire time you're there.

That is unless you sit everyone down together on the first night and announce that you don't like anyone making a fuss over you and that you will explain exactly what celiac is and the gluten-free lifestyle. Say it ONCE, answer a few questions and then THAT'S IT, no more mention of it.

Tell them if they want to go out to eat, that you will choose the restaurant (make arrangements ahead of time with the chef at a place you trust.)

Offer to help with the cooking, so you can keep an eye out for any cc issues.

Good luck!

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

greet the tides my friend

we're all nomads; forever on our way

a journey to the end.

2007 was my first gluten free dairy free and soy free Christmas... I ate by myself here and it was nice! LOL!

B)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

We are flying from CO Springs so bringing my own stuff won't work. I know I can get stuff while I am there. There has to be a whole food store around. I think my whole issue is being different. We will go do things but everone still gets together for the meals. My dad makes the best late night snack plates with french bread, specialty cheeses, fruits and other goodies. Major CC all over their kitchen. Always bread, crackers and cookies. MMMM! I guess I will make a shopping list for when I get there.

Yes, you can bring a lot your own stuff. I am currently on business travel. I packed the following:

3 servings of spegetti with either gluten free pasta or rice - frozen in single servings

3 servings of chilli with rice - frozen in single servings

8 gluten free pancakes - frozen

8 gluten free corn muffins frozen

4 pieces of grilled chicken - frozen

Salad dressing

Flexable cutting board

knife, can opener

I wrap the spegetti, chilli and as much of the rest of the frozen food as I can in blue ice mats in a soft sided can cooler and pack it in my check in baggage. This allows me to microwave most of my meals. I go grocery shopping in a local store that I know carries gluten free food and add as needed. You will need to check to see if there is room in the refrigerator/freezer at you destination.

You might also consider staying at a hotel with a kitchen so you do not have to have your food in a shared kitchen.

Below are links to the Container Store where I purchased my single serving containers and cooler:

I like the single serving containers below because you only have to pop the tab on top to reheat. My food was still frozen at the end of my trip.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Produ...PRODID=10019618

The cooler below comes in three sizes. The link is to the 14-Can Insulated Cooler which I use.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Produ...PRODID=10020416

Have a super trip

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

Welp, I get the same reaction 50 million questions. There are things to order off the menu, fresh foods. One good thing about the buffets is they have variety and lots of them. See, I like seafood so I dont have a problem with that. There is the past vegas and the new strip. I recently stayed at the Paris. It was totally wonderful. Packing snacks might be a good idea. but eating meals with out the family will bring up millions of more questions. Or you can pretend you dont hear those ridiculous questions and turn away or giggle :P

I tried to help

Welp, I get the same reaction 50 million questions. There are things to order off the menu, fresh foods. One good thing about the buffets is they have variety and lots of them. See, I like seafood so I dont have a problem with that. There is the past vegas and the new strip. I recently stayed at the Paris. It was totally wonderful. Packing snacks might be a good idea. but eating meals with out the family will bring up millions of more questions. Or you can pretend you dont hear those ridiculous questions and turn away or giggle :P

I tried to help

I think they would rather hear the giggle than deal with the 'evil twin' when I am glutened.

Oooh, the buffets in Vegas are a killer!

I was there about a month ago - with a group of friends.

Of course they all wanted to go to a buffet (we went twice over our 4 day stay). I went along because I didnt want to make a fuss, didnt want to be difficult. I suffered so badly - there was nothing gluten free at the buffet apart from baked potatoes and the salad....It was terrible.

Actually, im from Australia and was in the US just on holidays. I noticed how difficult it is to get gluten free foods there! I didnt see one restaurant that offered a gluten-free menu (and we ate out every night) and when we went to get groceries at that Albertsons supermarket the only gluten-free food I could find was one type of instant rissotto!

I was kinda disapointed....maybe I wasnt looking in the right places?

Anyway, my point is: I understand the anxiety you must be feeling about going on this family reunion, Its tough trying to explain to everyone about being gluten-free! It took my travelling buddies ages to understand - it wasnt until after our buffet night in Vegas that they really understood. I was so sick that night I had to stay in my hotel room while they all went out and partied. :-(

I cant really even suggest anything - perhaps just stick to what you know is safe - like salads without dressing.

Good luck! I hope it goes smoothly for you!

Diagnosed with IBS - October 2007

Despite testing negative in bloodtests - still getting Celiac symptoms.

Gluten Free trial begins - May 2008

Positve dietary response! Woo!

Lactose free aswell - December 2008

It is sad that we are the ones with the sensitivity yet we almost always feel like we are such trouble or burdens to everyone else people really are not supportive to this we had lunch at my in laws today and she offered my kids a grilled cheese sandwich and well she knows we do not eat dairy or gluten!!!! so my son had to argue with her about the fact that we do not eat this then she procedded to say how dumb the Drs are they know nothing yeh ok and my son just said whatever and we left hungry!!! but hey yeh to us for standing our ground but the ignorance and lack of support that goes with all of this is really hard and hurtfull....good luck just remeber you are wonderful and defenetly not a burder you are wonderful and healthy!!! a little of topic but had to vent ;)

celiac blood test positve 11/10

stool test postive 2009

It is sad that we are the ones with the sensitivity yet we almost always feel like we are such trouble or burdens to everyone else people really are not supportive to this we had lunch at my in laws today and she offered my kids a grilled cheese sandwich and well she knows we do not eat dairy or gluten!!!! so my son had to argue with her about the fact that we do not eat this then she procedded to say how dumb the Drs are they know nothing yeh ok and my son just said whatever and we left hungry!!! but hey yeh to us for standing our ground but the ignorance and lack of support that goes with all of this is really hard and hurtfull....good luck just remeber you are wonderful and defenetly not a burder you are wonderful and healthy!!! a little of topic but had to vent ;)

I am sorry to here that your in-laws are not supportive.

I do not feel I am either trouble or a burden to anyone else. I do this by being prepared and proactive. I make whatever food arrangements are necessary. The two strategies I use the most are 1) Always have food with me. This includes having a full meal with me if I am visiting or a snack to get me through until I get home. 2) Make arrangements in advance with a definite menu. I primarily use this with restuarants. I prefer first strategy in private homes.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years