This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Sound Like Celiac? Please Help!

leethinker

leethinker Rookie

Hi everyone,

I've posted here before. I recently had an endoscopy done. Unfortunately, it was not to test for celiac, but rather just to see if there was anything else going on in there like cancer. Luckily everything was good except for mild gastritis. I've done a blood test IgE which showed that I definitely have a "food allergy". That was 650 when it should be under 100. My doc said my symptoms are from the food allergy and I should just go home and test it out myself through an elimination diet.

These are my symptoms, all of which developed while I was pregnant with my second child:

- Slightly elevated bilirubin levels

- Pain in upper abdomen (almost always), including a very annoying pain under my left rib.

- CHRONIC constipation. (I am not exaggerating!)

- EXTREME tiredness all the time.

- Headaches.

- Very dry excema on my hands, inbetween my fingers.

- Joint pains (my knees are suddenly grinding even though I am thin and do no sports at all; my right shoulder hurts all the time, and started hurting around the time the rest of my symptoms developed.)

- Mouth ulcers/canker sores in my mouth, & cracked corners of my lips (this happens occassionally)

- Mild depression and relatively strong anxiety which I cannot explain logically

- Major trouble concentrating. (I often say I feel like I have ADD)

- Blurry vision even though my eyesight is nearly 20-20

- My skin every so often starts to hurt really bad, like it's burning. It hurts to even touch slightly. It's really strange. It will just start up and then last for a day, and then return to normal. Really wierd.

I'm going to a medical doctor who is also a homeopath on Monday, and I am really hoping she will test me for celiac. I swear I have this! Supposedly my family doc tested for a gliadin allergy but it was negative. However, I had gone gluten-free for two weeks before the blood test and then only a couple days before the test I started eating gluten again. So, maybe I didn't have enough in my system to show up?? On the other hand, my doc said it's probably IBS, so I'm starting to think they don't take me seriously.

I'm so incredibly frustrated.

My son, with whom I was pregnant when my symptoms started, had an "allergy" to grains the first year of his life. Everytime he ate a piece of bread or cracker, pasta, etc., he would break out on his face in a terrible rash. I took him off gluten and it went away. I then kept testing, periodically giving him a piece of bread, and -whatdoyaknow- his rash came back. After around his first birthday, however, his rash never came back and now he can eat gluten without getting a rash.

Anyway, what you do all think??? I'm starting to get really depressed, angry and desperate!!! I want to go off gluten but I really want to know what it is. It's bothering me. I especially want to know so that, in case I do have celiac, I can get my kids tested. They're so little I want them to be healthy. I think my daughter might be sensitive too.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kerri

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I think you should get the full celiac panel run when you see the doctor on Monday. But do remember that there are false negatives. The doctors advice to do an elimination diet was really a good one, it is too bad he didn't refer you to someone or give you some guidance himself. If you don't want another endoscopic exam for biopsies then do just go ahead and give the diet a good strict try. Do you have a copy of the report from your endoscopy that you already had? Sometimes there are changes, like gastritis, certain changes in the mucosal lining, elevations in certain cells that can be seen that are common to celiac but not always diagnostic or recognized as being celiac related. When you are ready to start the diet you have come to the right place for info. There is a lot more to it than just food so feel free to ask any question you need to.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Kerri...you need a complete Celiac panel run and you need to have been eating gluten in fair amounts daily for a good 3 months before the test. Otherwise there is a strong risk of a false NEG. Then you will need another biopsy to take samples specifically for Celiac. This is the only way to get an official dx for Celiac.

If you dont want to do that, then you can pay out of pocket for Enterolab to test for gluten sensitivity and get the genetic testing to see if you have Celiac genes. This will not dx Celiac, but will tell you if you are intolerant to gluten and if you even have the genes.

Do this first and depending on your results you can move on to your kids.

The other alternative is just to eat a gluten-free diet and be healthy. Same for your kids.

What you decide is entirely up to you.

CarlaB Enthusiast

It sounds like you have something systemic going on. I would test for the whole celiac panel and don't get off gluten until you do. :)

If that isn't it, it can still be a toxin problem .... gluten can be a toxin for many of us who do not have celiac. www.biotoxin.info is a website that talks about toxins - mold, gluten, Lyme Disease.

Also, you might check this out - Open Original Shared Link

Whatever, you do, keep looking until you discover how to fix the problem. :)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - plumbago replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - trents replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

4. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

5. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

NYKaren
    Newest Member
    NYKaren
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• plumbago
      I'm also a nurse, but one who has worked in chronic care, and to some extent, it is more satisfying to see patients through to a diagnosis (as opposed to working in the ED), but an accurate diagnosis does not occur not as often as it should! Your posting presents a lot of information. But a couple of things I can respond to. One, celiac disease is diagnosed by endoscopy and biopsy of the duodenum. So, pathology will need to weigh in. It's not diagnosed on gastroscopy. (At least, not as far as I know). Two, did you get blood tests for celiac disease? You will need to be eating gluten in order for those to be accurate. Three, where was the CT angiogram (of what)? I could go on and on, but thought I'd start there.
    • trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .