Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help! My 17-yr old son was diagnosed about 5 months ago and what a challenge this has been for our family. He is a very picky eater and now we are dealing with a special diet. I am very worried because he is underweight for his height (5'10", 100lbs). He is your typical teenager and loves bread and junk food. I am at my whits end trying to located baked bread or bread mixes that he likes. He seems to think he will never eat again especially sandwiches or burgers. School lunches consists of gluten free chips, fruit cups, and milk. I am constantly stressed out because I know he is not eating enough and our selections seem so limited. He misses the texture and taste of good ole white bread. Suggestions?

Sincerely,

Newbie to the Gluten Free World

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm also 17 and I know it can be hard because you now can't have some things you once loved but there are wonderful brands its just a matter of finding the good ones.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Here is a link to help with guidelines of what is safe and forbidden if you don't have that yet. I am assuming since he has been gluten-free for 5 months you know what gluten can be hidden under.

As far as breads go Kinnikinnick has wonderful breads that taste soo good. They also have donuts and so forth. I personally like the chocolate dipped donuts the best. These gluten-free breads are also high in calories. http://www.kinnikinnick.com/

Foods by George have awesome english muffins(I eat them every morning) they have cinnamon and plain and when they are toasted especially they taste so good.

http://www.foodsbygeorge.com/

There are also many candy bars that are high calorie that are gluten-free. Also make sure nothing is slipping in.

Amy's gluten-free Mac and Cheese is very good and very high in calories.

Amy's also has gluten-free pizza you may want to try.

Also have him try Ensure Plus to put on weight. I was on it for a while to help me get my weight back. I like the Butter Pecan kind but whatever kind you get of you get any make sure you chill it because it tastes so much better that way. Ok well if you need anymore help just contact me I'll help anyway I can. :D

whole foods just came out with their own bread (at least the one by me) i think it's really really good and has 35 calories from fat per slice

i also endorse ensure! i love that stuff. not all of it is gluten-free though, but you can check on their webpage for which products are gluten-free.

There site will tell you about each product at the bottom

I just checked and everything except these products are gluten free:

Ensure High Calcium

Nutrition Bars

Powder

Glucerna for people with diabetes(did not say anything about what they were free of so I am assuming not safe)

Everything else by Ensure is gluten-free :D I love Ensure Plus...haven't tried their other drinks.