This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Flour Should I Use?

givenupgluten

givenupgluten Explorer

I would really like to make this delish recipe for caramel apple cupcakes that i have, HOWEVER, it's not gluten free :) Is there a flour I can use (or a blend of flours) to create a similarly textured cupcake, without too much hassle? Something in place of the regular old white flour it calls for? I do have a bob's red mill gluten free flour for baking...would that work? Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

minton Contributor

You may want to try Kinnikinnick Food's All Purpose Celiac Flour. It works almost as well as regular flour.

SevenWishes Newbie

This may sound like too much work, but I am utterly brand new at this game of cooking without including any wheat flour. What I have been doing with some of the tried and true recipes that call for wheat flour is to make up small batches of a recipe (half or even a quarter recipe quantity) and inserting various other flours or flour blends into them to see what happens. Since I've now got about a million different gluten free flours on hand, it's no big deal to "waste" a quarter cup or half a cup here and there to see what happens with a recipe that calls for wheat based flour. For me, too, just the experimentation and seeing what will happen is fun. If the results are a failure, then at least I know that rice flour or millet flour is NOT going to work in that particular case, and I have not lost an entire batch's worth of ingredients on the attempt, and I don't have to make it and worry "oh man, is it going to be something nasty when I serve it?" And if the results are good...well, now I know!

Maybe you can do that...cut your recipe in half or even quarters and just make up a small batch with whatever flour and see how it reacts. Or, if you have several flours on hand, gather the full amount the recipe calls for of all the other ingredients, but make separate batches with your various flours and see which you like the results of most.

It's a bit more work that way, of course, but you will know what you like best or least with what you get.

happygirl Collaborator

If you use BRM, you'll probably want to add a little bit of xanthan gum to it. Or, whatever flour mix you use should either have it in, or add to it if not.

Archived