This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Treating Osteoporosis

frec

frec Contributor

I have osteoporosis--lots of celiacs do--and I have been trying to find information on options for treatment. I don't like the sounds of the bisphosphonates but that is often all the doctors offer. Here is some really excellent information, including a calculator you can use to estimate your risk if you know your T score. The site is written by a medical doctor who teaches at University of Washington.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced
I have osteoporosis--lots of celiacs do--and I have been trying to find information on options for treatment. I don't like the sounds of the bisphosphonates but that is often all the doctors offer. Here is some really excellent information, including a calculator you can use to estimate your risk if you know your T score. The site is written by a medical doctor who teaches at University of Washington.

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks, Frec!

I have osteopenia and currently am using bio-identical hormones, plus a boatload of calcium with Vit. D and magnesium. I remain active as much as I can fit in and all this will have to do because the meds they push on you create far more problems than they are worth. I think the most important thing to do is to remain active and flexible to decrease chances for a fracture. If this were a man's problem, there would be a cure by now! :lol:

mamasaidso Apprentice

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in January 2008 at age 58. My osteoporosis was in high risk range for hips and spine on dexa scan two years ago. Last year I tried to find an alternative to the Fosamax D my primary doc had prescribed. I decided to see if the gluten-free diet made a difference before I went the drug route. I had read in Dr. Peter Green's book on celiac disease that drugs for osteoporosis should not be taken while you are healing on gluten-free diet. I am seeing Dr. Cynthia Rudert in Atlanta and she reinforced that as well. It can be dangerous for celiacs and decrease your blood calcium level.

I went to an endocrinologist and had all my levels checked including vitamin D levels. Also had my magnesium checked. I faithfully take my calcium in the am and before I go to bed. I take an vitamin D supplement with evening calcium. I started weight bearing exercises and yoga. My recent Dexa scan done November 08 showed no osteoporosis in spine, it was normal. My hips, which were worse, showed mild osteopenia. I couldn't believe how quickly it changed especially for my age. My hips used to ache constantly and had to have cortisone shots. I have no more joint pain anywhere. I can't believe it. Needless to say, I am very relieved that I could do this naturally.

Hopefully this info will be helpful to you.

Gemini Experienced
I was diagnosed with celiac disease in January 2008 at age 58. My osteoporosis was in high risk range for hips and spine on dexa scan two years ago. Last year I tried to find an alternative to the Fosamax D my primary doc had prescribed. I decided to see if the gluten-free diet made a difference before I went the drug route. I had read in Dr. Peter Green's book on celiac disease that drugs for osteoporosis should not be taken while you are healing on gluten-free diet. I am seeing Dr. Cynthia Rudert in Atlanta and she reinforced that as well. It can be dangerous for celiacs and decrease your blood calcium level.

I went to an endocrinologist and had all my levels checked including vitamin D levels. Also had my magnesium checked. I faithfully take my calcium in the am and before I go to bed. I take an vitamin D supplement with evening calcium. I started weight bearing exercises and yoga. My recent Dexa scan done November 08 showed no osteoporosis in spine, it was normal. My hips, which were worse, showed mild osteopenia. I couldn't believe how quickly it changed especially for my age. My hips used to ache constantly and had to have cortisone shots. I have no more joint pain anywhere. I can't believe it. Needless to say, I am very relieved that I could do this naturally.

Hopefully this info will be helpful to you.

Thank you so much for posting your story....it has given me hope! I am going to turn the magic 50 this year and was pessimistic about being able to regain bone density after menopause. I just will absolutely not take biophosphonates because I will be having 2 dental implants down the road and do not want complications from that. I also take copious amounts of calcium, vitamin D and magnesium and try to fit in exercise when I can. I wish I could add more in but my work schedule makes that difficult. Hopefully, mine will turn around also but I haven't been re-tested as of yet. I, too, used to get some bone pain in my leg but that has gone away for awhile now so hope is there!

Congratulations!

Puddy Explorer

Thanks for posting that info, Mammasaidso. I, too, was diagnosed with osteoporosis - in November 2007. My hips were fine, but my spine was in bad shape. The doctor put me on Boniva for 3 months and I didn't have a good reaction so stopped taking it. I was diagnosed with Celiac shortly after. I read Dr. Green's book, also, and had to 'educate' my doctor about not taking any meds for the osteo the first year on the gluten-free diet. She was not happy about my decicion. I've been taking my calcium with D and magnesium religiously. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary on the gluten-free diet and am anxious to have my bone density retested. You've given me hope!

Archived