This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trying To Concieve/irregular/celiac Disease Clomid?

still.joyful

still.joyful Apprentice

Hi Ladies,

My husband and I are trying to conceive, but I have been very irregular my entire life (and also have a few cysts). As a result, my doctor put me on Clomid, a medicine that's meant to induce ovulation, I'm just wondering if any of you have had similar symptoms with celiac disease?

I've been gluten free for awhile but still am irregular, they say it's borderline polycystic ovarian syndrome, but I don't have the hormonal imbalances or any other symptoms than missed periods.

Is it possible that the celiac disease is causing the irregular periods, even though I'm on a gluten-free diet?

Also, have any of you taken clomid successfully?

One more question :), which prenatal do you recommend to someone with a lot of food sensitivities/sensitive stomach?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

PCOS is insulin resistance and not everyone has the symptoms typically associated with it. Ask your doctor about Metformin. It's an old diabetes drug and it's used to treat PCOS. Treating the PCOS will regulate periods and ovulation.

For Prenatals - I like Open Original Shared Link.

Best of luck!

still.joyful Apprentice
PCOS is insulin resistance and not everyone has the symptoms typically associated with it. Ask your doctor about Metformin. It's an old diabetes drug and it's used to treat PCOS. Treating the PCOS will regulate periods and ovulation.

For Prenatals - I like Open Original Shared Link.

Best of luck!

Thanks! Unfortunately, the doctor doesn't think I have insulin resistance because I'm quite thin :/...but I have a feeling if the clomid alone doesn't work, he will prescribe it.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast
Thanks! Unfortunately, the doctor doesn't think I have insulin resistance because I'm quite thin :/...but I have a feeling if the clomid alone doesn't work, he will prescribe it.

Me too. I have none of the outward symptoms of PCOS but my ovaries look like a minefield.

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Good luck in TTC. I also have very irregular periods, but I haven't yet discussed it with my new doctor. I use Country Life Maxi Pre-Natal vitamins. They are batch tested to be gluten free and they don't contain wheat, soy, gluten, milk, salt, sugar, preservatives, or artificial color. You have to take 2 tablets 3 times a day, but they don't hurt my stomach.

• 1 month later...
jvosicky Newbie

Even after 4 years of a gluten free life I was still not ovulating or getting my period. So when my husband and I wanted to conceive Clomid was the first step. Two months of Clomid and Ovidrel injections and I am six weeks pregnant with our first! So good luck and enjoy the process.

I am what they call a "super sensitive celiac" with allergies to dairy, corn and soy in addition to gluten and the only prenatal thus far that does not make me sick is : Raindow Light PreNatal One (it is basically allergen free) I buy it at Whole Foods.

Hope this helps.

Archived