This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long

shan

shan Contributor

my 2 and 1/2 year old son hasn't grown in a whole year! He is tiny and thin (makes up for it in character though ;) ) We have done the celiac panel and it has come back clear. We put him on a gluten free diet for the past 3 weeks, and i want to know in how long will i see a change? These past weeks, i know that he has not had a drop of gluten coz he didn't go to day care. He started again today so... Seeing as he isnt a celiac and will probably not have a reaction if he does have gluten, i cant know if i can trust it there...

Also, do any of you people out there have any idea if him having constant burst ear drums could stunt his height and weight gain? He had tubes put in this week, but i want to put my hopes somewhere ;););)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

If gluten is the issue, it could take months to show growth changes. Do you mean he has had no growth at all, even a small amount, in a whole year? If that is the case, I would be quite concerned. How are his cognitive milestones? If they are lagging as well as his growth, I would push for lots of testing to figure out what is going on. It is normal for some kids to grow slower but to not grow at all is problematic.

I don't want to be overly dramatic but this isn't something to guess about. In addition to physical growth we see, early childhood is a critical time for the brain.

Take care and check back if you get a chance.

bear6954 Apprentice

My son was completely negative on all celiac panel tests also. However, he had the classic gi symptoms. He was positive for DNA and positive biopsy. My son only gre 1 1/2" between one and two. Once he went gluten free, he started to grow and teeth again with a month or shortly after. I began to measure my son every month so I could keep track of his growth.

swalker Newbie

Ear issues in my family are an intolerance to dairy. My sister and daughter had many many ear infections as a result of this intolerance.

I just removed dairy from my diet 5 months ago and I can hear out of my right ear which I couldn't before and never really noticed except when I used the phone.

Removing wheat lead an immediate behaviour improvement in our boy along with a bowel and appetite change.

Archived