This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Contamination Issue?

lainey461

lainey461 Rookie

I have been gluten free for about a month, probably only strictly, without mistakes, 2 weeks. Today, I cleaned out a cabinet, with all gluten foods, flour, crackers, snacks, and cereal. Washed it to keep my new gluten free food in, now I am not feeling well at all, could touching the boxes, and cleaning the shelf (had a bit of spilled flour) cause a reaction?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

It is possible that that caused a reaction. When I am working with hay I notice I get all stuffed up and sneeze a lot and the same when I am helping bake something not gluten-free. Once I stopped to think about it, I figured that was why. I also get skin reactions, though.

larry mac Enthusiast

I'd say it was probably only a coincidence. Lot's of times we Celiacs get the "not feeling quite right " attacks. 99% of the time I can't say with any certainty what caused it. Sometimes, I even suspect one cause could be mental factors.

I come back from a trip and discover a big box of Bisquick in the pantry. My stepdaughter has made chicken & dumplings. I immediately get all worked up (angry) over what I consider an act of betrayal (by my wife for condoning it and planning on me not finding out, they forgot to get rid of the box) and worry over how much contamination there is. Despite their protests that they used "a seperate pot", I know there were many other ways for the gluey, doughy, dumpling stuff to contaminate everything in the kitchen. Of course I'm then condidered " a drama queen" because why worry about it "the dishwasher completely cleans everything". I'm sorry but that's not enough to convince me.

The point I'm trying to make is there are a myriad of reasons we have for not feeling quite right. Sometimes we may get a little accidental or inadvertant gluten ingestion. Sometimes it could be something else we ate completely unrelated to gluten that hits us a little wrong, or just doesn't sit well with our constitution that day. Sometimes it's just a mind over matter thing, a little extra stress, a combination of emotional or mental factors.

I also would think that for those like MST with additional skin reaction problems, the whole mental stress aspect would exponentially increase. Then you'd have to worry not just about what you eat, but what you contact. Extra bummer. Sorry MST.

Good luck L461, lm

ps, I guess I am a drama queen sometimes. :rolleyes:

lainey461 Rookie

Hi LM,

Thanks for replying! As for drama queen, I enjoyed your post, and it is so true! Not sure what happened to me, gluten ingestion, or something else, but I was up till 5:00 am with severe stomach pains, I almost went to the ER! But at 5, when they subsided, I was able to fall asleep. No pain now, but totally drained!

As for your wife and daughter, I don't think they meant you any harm! Hopefully they didn't cause any! Someone who doesn't have this, doesn't realize how sick we can become with such a small amount! Its only been a short time for me, but I can already see how people do not understand.

Best of luck to you! Thanks again!

Elaine

Archived