MamaJo

Please Tell Me There Is A Way!

Rate this topic

A way to make these (Onion Buns) with a gluten free flour mixture :drool:

If I tried, what adaptations would I need to make?

There are flour mixtures you can buy that can be used cup for cup in place of all purpose flour. (ie better batter-there are others but i can't think of them at the moment)

otherwise you can use a mix of flours you have or can easily find at your local health store and/or regular grocery store... then just add about 1 tsp of xanthan gum for every cup of flour.

everything else seems like it would be fine to me but of course there are other people here who are much more advanced in their baking skill than i am. but just glancing at it i am positive this recipe can be altered nicely

There are flour mixtures you can buy that can be used cup for cup in place of all purpose flour. (ie better batter-there are others but i can't think of them at the moment)

otherwise you can use a mix of flours you have or can easily find at your local health store and/or regular grocery store... then just add about 1 tsp of xanthan gum for every cup of flour.

everything else seems like it would be fine to me but of course there are other people here who are much more advanced in their baking skill than i am. but just glancing at it i am positive this recipe can be altered nicely

Ooooh!! Thank you!! I knew there was something about needing to add the xanthan or guar, but I couldn't remember how much and if there was anything else. Do you know if they will be approximately the same texture? What I'm really asking is, will I be able to follow those directions for rolling/cutting/baking?

the only gluten free thing i have made that was rolled out were cinnamon rolls so i'm not sure. usually the texture is slightly different but i imagine it will be doable. maybe the better batter will mimic the texture but i havent used it. i think it is worth a shot though!! and there are ways to improvise so dont be afraid to :)

If you're new to gluten-free bread dough, you should know that it's sticky, not kneadable, and hard to roll out in general due to said stickiness. Dust everything generously with rice flour or your gluten-free flour mix to keep it from sticking, or roll between sheets of plastic wrap. Conversely, sometimes wet hands work best for patting dough into shape. Instead of rolling and cutting you might try just plopping scoops of the dough onto the pan or even into muffin tins or glass baking cups. Don't give up if the first try doesn't come out - these are tricky doughs to master and sometimes it takes some experimentation. Good luck!

If you're new to gluten-free bread dough, you should know that it's sticky, not kneadable, and hard to roll out in general due to said stickiness. Dust everything generously with rice flour or your gluten-free flour mix to keep it from sticking, or roll between sheets of plastic wrap. Conversely, sometimes wet hands work best for patting dough into shape. Instead of rolling and cutting you might try just plopping scoops of the dough onto the pan or even into muffin tins or glass baking cups. Don't give up if the first try doesn't come out - these are tricky doughs to master and sometimes it takes some experimentation. Good luck!

Also, keep in mind that this recipe calls for a double rise. You don't do that with gluten free, you only do one rise. So I would mix the dough w/ the onion, probably just shape rolls with my hands and swirl the top with a knife, and rise to the appropriate height. They will probably take longer to bake than the recipe. Flour suggestions: 1 cup sorghum, 1 cup potato starch, 1 cup tapioca starch, 1/2 cup fine ground white rice flour, 3 tsps xanthan gum, 1/2 cup water, 3 large eggs. That would be my first try. Or use a 'better batter' or 'tom sawyer' or 'pamela's' mix, xanthan is included, and increase the egg by at least one. gluten-free needs more eggs.