dnwiebe

"natural Flavor" What The Heck Is That Anyways?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I was diagnosed back in May, and am slowly making the transition over. I'm 20 years old and live on my own, no one else in my family has tested positive yet so I'm alone to learn everything (of course I have their support). Everything is going really well so far (well as good as can be expected), but I was just wondering what everyones take on natural flavor was. Can I have it? or can't I? I know it's one of those 'limbo' ingredients. Are there general guidelines people follow to decide whether or not to eat something with natural flavoring in it? I've been trying to look up most things, but I'm just not sure if something like grape juice warrants calling the manufacturer for. What do you do?

Thanks! :P

Dani

I would buy products from these companies who will clearly list all forms of gluten, and not hide them in "natural flavors". Here is the list:

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/in...donothidegluten

A good rule of thumb is "when in doubt, don't". That's when you get on the computer or phone and call the companies to see if they have hidden gluten (rye, barley or malt). Wheat must be listed by law in an allergen statement or in the ingredients listing.

If it's your first year, the Triumphdining Grocery Guide would be helpful. It lists over 30,000 main stream products. I have long since learned to read labels, but it comes in handy when my husband wants to go out a buy some ice cream that we can share.

http://www.triumphdining.com/products/glut...ipe-ingredients

I still buy products with the least ingredients. Go down the potato chip isle and see for yourself.

Welcome, glad to have you here.

Hi all,

I was diagnosed back in May, and am slowly making the transition over. I'm 20 years old and live on my own, no one else in my family has tested positive yet so I'm alone to learn everything (of course I have their support). Everything is going really well so far (well as good as can be expected), but I was just wondering what everyones take on natural flavor was. Can I have it? or can't I? I know it's one of those 'limbo' ingredients. Are there general guidelines people follow to decide whether or not to eat something with natural flavoring in it? I've been trying to look up most things, but I'm just not sure if something like grape juice warrants calling the manufacturer for. What do you do?

Thanks! :P

Dani

My villi were so severely damaged, if it says natural falvors, I tend to stay away from it.