NYCCeliacMom

Looking For Source Of Gluten

Rate this topic

My daughter is working at a summer camp that is providing her with gluten free lunches. She serves the campers their food and then sits down to eat her own. She is getting gluten from somewhere and we are trying to track it down. She realizes that she has to wash her hands before she eats but it is difficult to leave the group. She was going to use Purell but it seems that it does not work against gluten. In researching this I uncovered the fact that the dish soap we have been using at home has gluten in it (Ecover Lemon and aloe vera). I just bought a new bottle and we may have been using a different Ecover type that does not contain gluten previously. I also have celiac and do not have any glutening signs, but wonder where the problem is..the camp food? cross contact from serving the kids? getting it at home with the dishes?

The other question I have for more experienced celiacs is once a person is glutened, is it advisable to follow a diet like the one after you have an intestinal illness (no dairy, white rice, bananas--but daughter hates them...etc?) I thought it might help her as her system recovers. I get concerned, though, because her general nutritional profile isn't that good.

Thanks.

Is the camp making the gluten-free Lunch in the same area as non-gluten-free foods? Moreso it's likely cross contamination going on if they claim it's gluten-free but she's still getting Glutened.

Two things. Is the food she is eating being checked for glutens in the ingredients, in spite of it normally being considered a Ok food? There are alot of lunchmeats, etc that has filler glutens in them in you least expect it. Did she give them a list of Ok food and they are simply serving her those without looking at the ingredients? There's glutens in many spaghetti sauces....who would think that unless they looked at the ingredients? Ask the kitchen personnel to read labels!

Second thought.....they probably wear plastic gloves to be sanitary. But are they changing those before fixing and touching her foods? I was so excited to discover that Jimmy John's Subs make a lettuce wrap of any of their sandwiches just for us that are gluten-intolerant. It was really good.....until I started feeling gluten symptoms. Thinking back on all my research, the one thing I didn't pay attention to was having the little gal that fixed the wrap change her gloves after fixing my son's bread-laden sub! duh!

Good luck getting your daughter back on track!