Diva1

Can We Trust Internet Site For Gluten Free Foods

Rate this topic

Just a quick question....we find all kinds of sites withgluten free product listings....can we trust them or should we keep away from them.....unless they come from a celiac association :(

It really depends on the site. You have to know if it is up to date, is it the actual company website? Many factors to consider.

Webisites like www.glutenfreedrugs.com are not updated as frequently as they should be. www.clanthompson.com updates quite often and their newsletter will list new products or changes in products.

It's always best, if you question a product, call the compaines 800#, and to be honest, sometimes that info is only as good as the representative you find.

It's sometimes difficult to figure out which is ok, and which isn't. Trial and error, sometimes advice from others is best.

Final decision has to be yours. Good luck.

Trust, as in "it was on the website, so I'll just buy it"? No. Always read the labels. If you can find RECENT and RELIABLE* information, then it's a "this is worth reading the label" sort of trust. :)

*reliable - this is a discretion/judgment that you just have to learn, both in general (especially on the internet, where it's harder and has more shades of grey), and about this information. for instance, I use this board a lot for up-to-date information. but there are some people whom I trust more than others regarding the gluten free status. it's not because I like someone more than another, or that someone is necessarily wrong. but rather their judgment and mine do not quite line up. they don't have to - our goal is to judge suitability for two different people - but I need to know when they do or don't. (the easiest example is in regards to shared facilities. it's perfectly valid to choose not to eat something because it's produced in a shared facility and you tend to react to that. as I don't, however, I'm not going to automatically, fully trust someone who says just "X is gluten free", if I know they do not count foods processed in a shared facility (I'm not talking shared lines) as gluten free. neither of us is wrong, we simple need different answers.)

Trust, as in "it was on the website, so I'll just buy it"? No. Always read the labels. If you can find RECENT and RELIABLE* information, then it's a "this is worth reading the label" sort of trust. :)

*reliable - this is a discretion/judgment that you just have to learn, both in general (especially on the internet, where it's harder and has more shades of grey), and about this information. for instance, I use this board a lot for up-to-date information. but there are some people whom I trust more than others regarding the gluten free status. it's not because I like someone more than another, or that someone is necessarily wrong. but rather their judgment and mine do not quite line up. they don't have to - our goal is to judge suitability for two different people - but I need to know when they do or don't. (the easiest example is in regards to shared facilities. it's perfectly valid to choose not to eat something because it's produced in a shared facility and you tend to react to that. as I don't, however, I'm not going to automatically, fully trust someone who says just "X is gluten free", if I know they do not count foods processed in a shared facility (I'm not talking shared lines) as gluten free. neither of us is wrong, we simple need different answers.)

Thanks for the reply very appreciated.....like the way you think....Diva