star7

Could This Be Celiac?

Rate this topic

ok about 2 years ago i had a lot of gastrointestinal issues..diarrhea constipation abdominal pain and so I decided to see a GI doctor...an endoscopy and colonscopy showed inflammation in my small intestine which was biopsied for celiac disease ...the biopsy came back negative..so the GI doctor said it was IBS... :( .the year later i developed a swollen knee randomly that ended up needing surgery (a tear in the meniscus, discoid lateral meniscus)..the surgery revealed swelling and what they believed to be rheumatoid arthritis...after rheumatology visits ..the doctor decided i may have an inflammatory arthritis..and fibromyalgia..but he believes that perhaps i need another endoscopy to rule out celiac disease for sure..b/c maybe all this is caused by it...what are your thoughts? should I go to another GI doctor and get tested for celiac? Could all of this be caused from untreated celiac?

I think it definitely doesn't hurt to check. Wouldn't it be great if you could find out the source of all your trouble?

I think it's awesome that your doctor even thought to double-check for Celiacs, by the way. That seems to be pretty rare.

It sounds a lot like a gluten sensitivity to me. Many people who are given the diagnoses of "IBS" and "fibromyalgia" when they truly have a gluten intolerance. You could get the biopsy but it still might be negative. There are many members of this board who have had negative testing, including biopsies but have celiac or non-celiac gluten sensitivity. Here's an interesting article about diagnosing gluten sensitivity before villous atrophy. I think it is worth a read.

https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/EarlyDiagnosis.htm

Personally, I think I'd give the diet a try for a couple of months. It is worth it if it helps you and I think it would. If nothing else, it is worth a try. It sounds like you have been pretty miserable for awhile.