imissfood...

Seizures And Celiac?

Rate this topic

I have had many different problems over the last few years including seizures.. has anyone ever had seizures with celiacs?

I have had many different problems over the last few years including seizures.. has anyone ever had seizures with celiacs?

I am so sorry you have been dealing with this and can relate somewhat. Ihave suffered from myoclonus (limb movement and twitching) only at sleep onset for almost three years. A few years ago (prior to going gluten free), there were times when my entire body would shake (as if I were having a seizure (but never confirmed).

I recently sought the consultation of a highly respected dietician who ordered an Organic Acids test.

This was a real eye opener for me...it uncovered nutritional deficiencies such as B vitamins. The real surprise was that it revealed that I have been exposed to xylene (a petroleum chemical/toxin) found in our environment and in many household cleaning products, disposable water bottles, pillows, matresses, cosmetics, etc. Environmental Chemical exposures have been linked to endocrine disruption, neurological disorders and the triggering of autoimmune disorders (i.e. celiac, Chronic fatigue syndrome, Fibromyalgia, arthritis, etc.). I would highly recommend that you pursue having the Organic Acids test. I am currently taking several new gluten-free vitamins and a medical food full of B vitamins to help support my liver functioning (get rid of the toxin exposure) and increase my energy and well-being.

http://www.endo-society.org/media/press/20...c-Statement.cfm

Sylviaann

I had two seizures -- one in Jan/09 and then in March/09 -- they are what helped my DR's take my medical problems seriously and led to my Dx of celiac disease. I don't know the medical details behind them and my EEG & CT were normal. No more seizures since going gluten-free :)

It was quite scary at the time, so I'm sorry you are going through this! Have you had an EEG & CT done to investigate? I hope your DR(s) can get to the bottom of it quickly.

Good luck,

Jillian

I had two seizures -- one in Jan/09 and then in March/09 -- they are what helped my DR's take my medical problems seriously and led to my Dx of celiac disease. I don't know the medical details behind them and my EEG & CT were normal. No more seizures since going gluten-free :)

It was quite scary at the time, so I'm sorry you are going through this! Have you had an EEG & CT done to investigate? I hope your DR(s) can get to the bottom of it quickly.

Good luck,

Jillian

I have had a seizure disorder for a few years now and they didnt know why.. now I found out it could have been the celiacs that may have been causing them.. there are more then just the seizures that have bothering me over the years it seemed to be one thing after another and just kept getting worse. now that I have been on the gluten free diet I am starting to feel much better.