Rate this topic

Hi, I am about to purchase my second ever laptop, my second ever PC and so much as changed since I last purchased one.

I was wondering what the difference is between these "innards" of computers:

1) Intel Core 2 Duo Processor with Centrino 2 Technology

2) Intel Celeron Processor

3) Intel Pentium Duel Core Processor

4) (HP) Pavilion (is a Pavilion an "innard"?)

5) Turion X2

Which of the 5 is preferable? Which of the 5 would normally be more expensive

and is it worth the extra money? Which one would be considered "Top of the Line?"

Which ones would be considered only if your needs are basic?

I need one to be able to go to college website and do classes from home, store documents and photos, watch a movie/DVD, use google earth, so I guess that's memory size - but does this factor into which of the 5 above is best for me?

My current laptop is Dell Pentium 4 and it lasted a very long time.

Thank you to whomever is able to respond - I appreciate it.

D.

What kinds of classes? If you'll be loading large programs (graphics maybe) you'll need something different than if you are using standard stuff.

Duo processors have two brains. I run statistical apps on multi processor units because the programs take boatloads of memory. Most people don't need them.

There isn't a huge difference in processors. What makes the difference is the speed, and the memory (not storage space). More Gigahertz (GHz) is faster. Important for stat stuff, and maybe graphics and games, would be less noticeable for standard apps. One gigabyte of memory is more than enough for most things.

I personally dislike Athalon (AMD Turion) but it's based on a generation of Athalon processors from years ago. I suspect they're better now.

Yes, classes wherein I'll have to download graphics, Excel spreadsheets (accounting, finance, statistics). I don't want to "underbuy" for these needs. I don't want to buy a laptop that someone would purchase for a grammar school child and find out afterwards if I had paid just a little extra I could have gotten what I needed.

Thanks for your help.

I guess the other question is -how much do you want to spend? And do you need everything on the laptop? At home I have a desktop and a laptop. I put somethings on one, different things on the other. If you have (or want) a tricked out desktop you could go with a less expensive laptop (or the other way 'round).

Will you be using a lot of freeware (which, in my experience, seems to need more memory) or mostly paid-for programs?

Do you plan on running stand-alone stat programs (get more GHz) or do you think Excel will serve most of your needs?

Can you find out what sorts of programs your classes will be using? That might help you decide.

My philosophy is - whatever you buy will be outdated in a week, so don't get the best, get what you need.

I guess the other question is -how much do you want to spend? And do you need everything on the laptop? At home I have a desktop and a laptop. I put somethings on one, different things on the other. If you have (or want) a tricked out desktop you could go with a less expensive laptop (or the other way 'round).

Although I won't say "price is no object" I am flexible on pricing.

Yes, I use a laptop - I don't have room for both desktop & laptop at my "computer station" at home. I need the portability of laptop for work.

I was confused about the "innards" - which system is best, which has the best reputation..etc?

Will you be using a lot of freeware (which, in my experience, seems to need more memory) or mostly paid-for programs?

...I am not sure what "freeware" is exactly, as opposed for paid-for programs. Is freeware "Adobe"?

Do you plan on running stand-alone stat programs (get more GHz) or do you think Excel will serve most of your needs?

I do not know yet how in-depth these classes will get and what my power (GHz) needs will be. I know the classes online will have other websites I have to go to get more data to analyze and the online class site will have their own that I'll have to download.

Can you find out what sorts of programs your classes will be using? That might help you decide.

My philosophy is - whatever you buy will be outdated in a week, so don't get the best, get what you need.

I'll have to then look into what the programs entail. That's a thought.

I am also concern that whatever I buy will be outdated in a week - so that's why I want to just get what I need. I underpurchased on the first laptop - didn't get enough memory. I want to prevent this on this go-around.

Thanks - Deb

...I am not sure what "freeware" is exactly, as opposed for paid-for programs. Is freeware "Adobe"?

I mean the freeware programs written by other people, that are never sold. I'm sure you'll come across some.

I would guess that anything 2 GHz or more, and 2Gb or more should be more than you need. (That's right in the middle.) I wouldn't worry about dual processors. There are very few situations where they are helpful, and none where they are necessary. Every computer can multi-task with only one.

If you aren't in a hurry, look for sales. And take note of the weight if you plan to carry it around much. The $400 netbook isn't gonna work for you, but you should be able to find something for less than $1000.

And good luck in school :)