This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Low-carb Gf Diet

Guest gliX

Guest gliX

I'm thinking of going on a low-carb diet, where can I find low-carb gluten-free foods? I'm not sure if this type of diet is possible for someone with celiac because most of the low-carb foods are not gluten free. Any ideas? Or, are there any good online stores for this? Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mya Apprentice

Open Original Shared Link

I found this, I eat the smaps cereal, it's pretty good, really expensive, but oh well. I think there may be some other gluten-free stuff on the site...

Mya Apprentice

Sorry, here's the gluten-free section

Mya Apprentice

And one more site, I forgot I had this link...

I'm done posting now, really! :P

watkinson Apprentice

The best lowcarb diet is one that is not intended to be low carb. <_< What do I mean? Don't go low carb, just eat whole foods. :)

If you eat a diet rich in fruits and especially green veggies, (green LEAFY vegies all the better) you WILL loose weight.

Drink a glass of 1% milk when you feel hungry outside of mealtime or get a craving (not skim, 1% is better, it helps in reducing the bad fat). drink a glass of water, sometimes it's not that we are hungry we are just dehydrated and our bodies are telling us to eat something to counteract it. Drink a glass of white or green tea, it has natural appetite supressants in it.

Try to eat at least 4 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones.

Eat 1 organic yogurt (Stoneyfield is good) every day, it has the beneficial bacteria, acodophilus, in it, which aids in your immune system and digestion. Eat lots of protien, eggs are great.

Of course these food sugestions are supposing that you are not allergic.

Try to stay away from starches. Grain, potatoes, bannanas, corn, peas, and carrots. Your body uses them as sugars.

Eat things like almonds or pecans for snacks. I even eat chocolate covered soy nuts from Trader Joes.

So what do I mean by whole foods? As you can see... stay away from the processed junk. Eat foods that are in as natural a state as possible. Eat an apple, not apple cookies.

I promise you WILL LOSE WEIGHT and you WILL feel better. :D

Good Luck

Wendy

Guest gfinnebraska

That Heavenly Low Carb site has Barbara's Bakery items under the "Wheat Free/ Gluten Free" section, BUT they contain oat flour and barley flour. They may be wheat free, but not gluten free! BE CAREFUL!!! Yikes!! Misleading information there. I hate that!! :blink:

tarnalberry Community Regular
I'm thinking of going on a low-carb diet, where can I find low-carb gluten-free foods? I'm not sure if this type of diet is possible for someone with celiac because most of the low-carb foods are not gluten free. Any ideas? Or, are there any good online stores for this? Thanks

I'm confused when you say that most low carb foods are not gluten free... Meats, nuts, oils, non-starchy vegetables, leafy greens... all these are staples of a low-carb diet and naturally gluten free.

Could you be more specific about the conflict you're seeing?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ianm Apprentice

The best way to go low carb is to not eat processed foods. Meat, veggies, fruit, nuts, cheese, yogurt are what I mostly eat. Buckwheat, and quinoa are great because they are high protien and fiber and low in carbs. I prefer to eat foods the way they are supposed to be eaten, whole and unprocessed. Low carb diets are based upon eating unprocessed foods. The low-carb processed stuff is way too expensive anyway and not always gluten-free.

skbird Contributor

I'm not going to pan low carb diets because without them I would not have figured out that I"m gluten intolerant. But the best part of a low carb diet is the focus on whole foods (as written already). For me, eating regular dairy products, not low fat or skim, was a big help - first of all have less sugar and more fat in them so they keep you fuller, plus are more like they were intended to be eaten in nature.

I have seen some lower carb treats - Pamela's cookies now has some low carb ones (they use Splenda though... blech!) and also I noticed EnerG has a "lighter" loaf of tapioca bread now, too. But if you're really into going low carb, you really don't need to be eating that stuff anyway. Meats, veggies, nuts, dairy, eggs - all really good stuff. Yeah, so you need something sweet - then get some stevia or xylitol. Making brownies with almond flour and xylitol/stevia is super easy and very tasty.

Oh, I did see also that Stonyfield has a yogurt smoothy with half the calories, I think it said 15g carbs (still too high for a low carb diet but it's progress) and it doesn't contain any splenda or aspartame - which is totally unusual! But great! As a former low carber and still somewhat hypoglycemic, things like that make my day. I'm going to go check them out next time I'm at the store...

Stephanie

ianm Apprentice

If it wasn't for the Atkins diet I never would have found out what was wrong with me. By eating more protien and natural fats from both plant and animal sources you will not get hungry as often. Protiens and fats take longer to digest and don't produce insulin spikes like a high carb diet will cause. I lost 80lbs and don't eat nearly as much as I used to. Low carb diets work great if you are gluten intolerant. If you do try the Atkins diet you must read the book and follow it exactly. It won't work if you don't.

Guest gfinnebraska

I'm on the SCD diet and feel SO much better after getting all the processed carbs out of my diet. PLUS I am losing weight! Something I have been unable to do while eating carb-full foods. :) I love having a bowl of strawberries, grapes, apples, etc. for lunch. I also find I am not nearly as hungry. For a "snack" at work I keep small bottles of 100% juice to drink. Cuts the cravings and is good for me! Good luck doing whatever you decide is best for you!!

Archived