OFIH

Odd Poops - Grainy?

Rate this topic

My youngest son, 18 months old, has had so many gut issues in his short life. He can't tolerate (we have labs out to determine if he's having allergy reactions or other types) dairy, soy, any oils, and now I am thinking glutens. His only food, at this time, is pretty much his milk (he has other developmental issues as well not tied to this). We had him, after long searching to find something he wasn't allergic to, on oat milk. But his poops were always odd.

From time to time, a few times a month, he has this even odder poop that is almost like someone mixed sand in with it. It isn't full sand, it has cookie dough consistancy with what looks like sand in it. It's grainy. On top of that you will see tiny, tiny flecks of dark colored (looks black to me) stuff. No one, other than the doctor we now see, seems to think this is weird. I have been told it's "toddler poop" and totally normal. Well I have a 4 year old that never had this. And grainy with dark tiny flecks in it? I don't know anyone that has that.

We have moved him to gluten-free almond milk that has no soy, dairy, oils, or soy lecithin in it. It's the only milk we can find that fits all his needs. But we moved him back to oat milk these last few days (attempting to pinpoint the issue) and today, after 3 days back on oat milk, he has the grainy poop again with the tiny black flecks in it. Any idea? We have him full-time almond milk starting this morning.

I'm also curious about this because my daughter has had the "sand" in her poop that you described many, many times.

When I hear "poop" and "black" in the same sentence, I automatically think "blood" -- has your doc checked him for that?

That said, my husband and I get what we call "sand poop" several days after recovering from an illness. It's odd, but pretty consistent.

But if for your child it's consistently the oats causing it, I'd keep him on nut milks or homemade rice milks instead.

This is the immediate sign for us that our son has been glutened. I thought he had been eating sand at first until I found out he had taken a cookie away from another child in his preschool and he had never been in the sandbox that day :rolleyes:

I had been told that that is a sign of dehydration. The black, as mentioned above, can also mean blood in the stool, but also occurs for some reason when the child eats a ton of blueberries (!); the black is also seen with iron supplements, but I can't remember why.