rebe09

Marshall, Minnesota Anyone?

Rate this topic

I just moved to Marshall, MN. from the Twin Cities. I am not finding much luck with gluten-free foods. Anyone from here or live here? I'll make with what I can, but may have to load up on gluten-free food when I'm back in the cities. I'm so disappointed! Any ideas?

I just moved to Marshall, MN. from the Twin Cities. I am not finding much luck with gluten-free foods. Anyone from here or live here? I'll make with what I can, but may have to load up on gluten-free food when I'm back in the cities. I'm so disappointed! Any ideas?

I googled out of curiosity and found this: "Katie Baier, RD, LD. Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center. Marshall Hy-Vee. 900 E. Main Street, Marshall, Minnesota 56258. 507-532-2247. kbaier@hy-vee.com. Katie offers gluten-free shopping tours, as well as personal shopping assistance to customers looking for gluten-free products and recipes."

at http://glutenfreedietitian.com/newsletter/?page_id=14

These sorts of lists are almost never up-to-date, but the fact that the local Hy-Vee employs or at one time employed a dietitian (or at least gave her an email address) seems like a promising sign.

My own recommendation for small-town living is to go the whole foods route (meats, vegetables, taters and rice) and not worry about foods specifically labeled gluten-free. Or befriend the Hy-Vee manager and ask him/her to order what you need.

Also also, people seem to be having good experiences with Wal-mart lately. Go figure.

I totally missed your response way back in late August. I'm sorry! Thanks so, so much for the information. I have come to terms that I may need to just stick with whole foods. I'm o.k. with that. My sister recently sent me a package from the Twin Cities filled with gluten-free bakery goodies. :) Isn't she the best? I just started shopping at Walmart because I was told all of their name brands will say gluten-free on it if it is. That saves so much hassle when shopping, so Walmart and I are getting friendly. :) Back in September I checked out HY-VEE website and they had a document specifically for gluten free people and it listed all of their items that were gluten free in their store. Awesome, huh? Even though I miss the wide-range of choices in the Twin Cities, I know I am good hands afterall. Thanks for the information. I am going to contact Katie. Never hurts to get more information to make the process easier.

I googled out of curiosity and found this: "Katie Baier, RD, LD. Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center. Marshall Hy-Vee. 900 E. Main Street, Marshall, Minnesota 56258. 507-532-2247. kbaier@hy-vee.com. Katie offers gluten-free shopping tours, as well as personal shopping assistance to customers looking for gluten-free products and recipes."

at http://glutenfreedietitian.com/newsletter/?page_id=14

These sorts of lists are almost never up-to-date, but the fact that the local Hy-Vee employs or at one time employed a dietitian (or at least gave her an email address) seems like a promising sign.

My own recommendation for small-town living is to go the whole foods route (meats, vegetables, taters and rice) and not worry about foods specifically labeled gluten-free. Or befriend the Hy-Vee manager and ask him/her to order what you need.

Also also, people seem to be having good experiences with Wal-mart lately. Go figure.

I visited Marshall recently and found a very accomodating restaurant called, "The Hitching Post." I mentioned my gluten sensitivity to the waitor, and he said, "Say no more." He knew exactly what I needed...No buns! He was even so kind as to take a picture of my friend and I at the table. It was a very memorable experience.