Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've heard we can't eat neither caramel or vanilla? but I've read about others drinking coke and diet coke. it has caramel coloring.

Also, does anyone know about lattes at Starbucks? Some syrups have caramel coloring. I miss my vanilla latte!!

. . . and vanilla extract?? I heard we couldn't have it, but I had a gluten free cookie the other day that had vanilla in it. . ..

terribly confused

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

caramel may be, but is not always, derived from wheat. you just have to call about it. vanilla, the bean, is gluten-free; there had been concern in the past that the alcohol used to draw the main flavor compounds out of the bean had gluten, but that is not the case. vanilla, by itself, is not an ingredient I call on.

Caramel coloring is questionable. From celiac.com:

3) The problem with caramel color is it may or may not contain gluten depending on how it is manufactured. In the USA caramel color must conform with the FDA standard of identity from 21CFR CH.1. This statute says: "the color additive caramel is the dark-brown liquid or solid material resulting from the carefully controlled heat treatment of the following food-grade carbohydrates: Dextrose (corn sugar), invert sugar, lactose (milk sugar), malt syrup (usually from barley malt), molasses (from cane), starch hydrolysates and fractions thereof (can include wheat), sucrose (cane or beet)." Also, acids, alkalis and salts are listed as additives which may be employed to assist the caramelization process.

Caramel coloring in a product made in the us is fine. vanilla is gluten-free too. they thought it might not be because of the alchohol but it is distilled so that is fine. I drink Starbucks vanilla lattes all the time with no problem. I actually just had one this morning!

All of the starbucks drinks are gluten free except 1 frappucinno they have. All the syrups, whipped cream, etc is gluten free. I get toffee nut cream frappucinnos all the time :D