DVjorge

Genetic Test Help?

Rate this topic

Hi everybody,

Can we have Celiac or gluten intolerance with a negative genetic test? I don't know if it is possible. My biopsia didn't show Celiac , it came back showing gastritis. My dr also ordered a blood test, only one, and was negative. I don't know why he didn't order a complete Celiac panel. Anyway, I went gluten free after the biopsia and got a lot of better. After one month gluten free, my dr told me the tests were negative and to try gluten. I did, and after a few days I got diarrhea, bloating, abdominal pain and so tired. I am thinking to order the genetic test. Do you think it can be usefull in my case?

Thanks a lot for your time,

George.

Hi everybody,

Can we have Celiac or gluten intolerance with a negative genetic test? I don't know if it is possible. My biopsia didn't show Celiac , it came back showing gastritis. My dr also ordered a blood test, only one, and was negative. I don't know why he didn't order a complete Celiac panel. Anyway, I went gluten free after the biopsia and got a lot of better. After one month gluten free, my dr told me the tests were negative and to try gluten. I did, and after a few days I got diarrhea, bloating, abdominal pain and so tired. I am thinking to order the genetic test. Do you think it can be usefull in my case?

George.

Hi George,

Here is some information on gene testing:

http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...C05-Testing.htm

Genetic testing for celiac disease

Celiac disease is a multigenic disorder associated with HLA-DQ2 (DQA1*05/DQB1*02) or DQ8 (DQA1*0301/DQB1*0302). HLA DQ2 is expressed in the majority (>90%) of those with celiac disease and DQ8 in about 8%. The expression of these HLA-DQ2 or DQ8 molecules is necessary but not sufficient to develop celiac disease and accounts for only about 50% of the genetic component of the disease. Studies in sibling (sib recurrence risk for celiac disease of 10%) [42] and of identical twins (concordance of 70%) [43] suggest that the contribution of HLA genes in celiac disease is less than 50%. The determination of the presence of HLA DQ2 or DQ8 is now available commercially. The role in the diagnosis of celiac disease is however limited because of the low specificity of the test for celiac disease. These HLA types are present in about 30% of the normal population. Their absence is useful in excluding celiac disease. The role in assessment of the presence of HLA DQ2 or is: 1. In the presence of an equivocal biopsy, 2. When someone is already on the diet, 3. To determine which family members should be screened for celiac disease.

Hi everybody,

George.

Did they biopsy the small intestine(duodenum)? Gastritis is inflamation in the stomach.