Tim86

Modified Food Starch Questions

Rate this topic

I've heard that you can't always trust if "Modified Food Starch" is gluten free. But sometimes I see "Food Starch-Modified (Tapioca)" or "Food Starch-Modified (Corn)". Are those gluten free? For example, there is a new Starkist Salmon Creations (Mango Chipotle) that I want to try. But it has the tapioca food starch listed in the ingredients.

I've heard that you can't always trust if "Modified Food Starch" is gluten free. But sometimes I see "Food Starch-Modified (Tapioca)" or "Food Starch-Modified (Corn)". Are those gluten free? For example, there is a new Starkist Salmon Creations (Mango Chipotle) that I want to try. But it has the tapioca food starch listed in the ingredients.

Modified Food Starch in the US is generally derived from corn. If otherwise, by law it must be listed as "Modified Food Starch (wheat). Barley and malt would not be a player here. So for the most part, if you don't see "wheat", it should be no problem.

If the source is stated, then the ingredient must be entirely from that source. So the two examples you cited are gluten-free ingredients.

In the US, if the source is wheat it must be disclosed. When no source is given it is usually corn.

There are a number of manufacturers that will always clearly disclose any gluten source on the label.

Here's a list of companies that have a clear gluten policy. If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc."

Not to hijack, but does that mean that "natural flavors" should be okay if undisclosed?

Not to hijack, but does that mean that "natural flavors" should be okay if undisclosed?

If the company is on that list, then, yes, "natural flavors" are gluten-free. Those companies will *always* clearly disclose *any* source of gluten in the product. :) :)

No, but I don't think that it's common for gluten to be contained in "natural flavors", but possible. Wheat, by law, must be listed, but barley, malt and rye do not at this time.

Thanks for the replies. That's very helpful. By the way...Momma Goose and psawyer, why do both of your profile pictures have the same statue/bust in it? I can't help but ask. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies. That's very helpful. By the way...Momma Goose and psawyer, why do both of your profile pictures have the same statue/bust in it? I can't help but ask. :rolleyes:

:P I guess you will have to go to the Silly Thread to find out about Sam Hill.... ;) Some have actually read the WHOLE thread..

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=24490

By the way...Momma Goose and psawyer, why do both of your profile pictures have the same statue/bust in it? I can't help but ask. :rolleyes:

This is the second coming of Sam. The first time around, somebody asked the same question. A short version of the story can be found here.