kcwoman

Timing To Get Biopsy Results

Rate this topic

I am new to this forum and have a question. My doctor said my blood tests were "overwhelmingly positive" for celiac (I don't know the numbers.) I had the colonoscopy and endoscopy done last week. I am wondering how long it typically takes in the US to get the results back? My doctor's office had "personnel issues" and didn't get back to me about the results of the blood tests for two weeks until I happened to call about an insurance coverage question about the colonoscopy (which had already been scheduled) and they needed to explain why they'd added the EGD. I am wondering when to become proactive about calling them since I'm not sure if their "issues" have been resolved.

thanks for any help - the discussions I've been able to read have been very helpful.

Hello and Welcome!

Welcome to the club with your "overwhelmingly" positive results. :D You're in good company here!

Many doctors recommend a follow up endoscopy in order to view the extent of damage and to serve as an additional confirmation (most likely the later).

I think it took about a couple of weeks for my pathology/biopsy test to get back to my GI. I cetainly would call to check on them.

Your blood test is diagnostic enough for you to begin the diet. Let us know how we can help you travel this road.

Hello and Welcome!

Welcome to the club with your "overwhelmingly" positive results. :D You're in good company here!

Many doctors recommend a follow up endoscopy in order to view the extent of damage and to serve as an additional confirmation (most likely the later).

I think it took about a couple of weeks for my pathology/biopsy test to get back to my GI. I cetainly would call to check on them.

Your blood test is diagnostic enough for you to begin the diet. Let us know how we can help you travel this road.

Thanks for your quick response. I'm sure I will have lots of questions. I'm looking forward to feeling better! I didn't know whether to go ahead and just start eating gluten-free or not but after reading the information here I've decided that there's no reasons not to begin, "official" diagnosis or not!

Thanks for your quick response. I'm sure I will have lots of questions. I'm looking forward to feeling better! I didn't know whether to go ahead and just start eating gluten-free or not but after reading the information here I've decided that there's no reasons not to begin, "official" diagnosis or not!

Yup, no time like the present. You can begin the diet after you have had all your tests for Celiac.

Here is some starter information you might find helpful:

http://www.gluten.net/publications.php