This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Depressed And Not Sure

missla3000

missla3000 Rookie

Hello there everyone and thank god for this site. I have recently had an endoscopy and blood tests for celiacs, the doctors say that the cells are a bit abnormal and they want to take more tests but I feel that I have all the symptoms of this thing! For many years I have been unwell and unstable emotionally because there is something going on inside me and I chose to blame it on not eating properly, at times I have thought I have had anorexia as I just dont want to eat when symptoms are at their worst.

I have to stay indoors, even away from my own son when things are too bad - i get an awful gas that makes me feel so dreadful and was sure i was the only person in the world to get it! until I found this site! I am only 27 and a fitness freak and I just feel so weak and feeble - I am sure its celiacs.

I am not gluten-free yet as the doctors have told me to stay normal till the results come through but I feel like im wasting away. Is it normal for a celiac to get ravenously hungry at times? even though you have eaten like normal? I do and cant explain it as I hate eating and would rather do something else. My brain goes mad and I get the shakes - I have constant brain fog and sometimes cant even talk to people as I feel so tired and drawn. Everyone around me says I look ill and I cant even tell them how I feel as they all think I dont eat enough as I am so slim!

I would just like to say thankyou to this site - I dont feel so alone and depressed now that others feel the same as me ....back soon...I have cramps from my dinner!"!!!! ps...is there anyone else out there in east anglia uk at all with this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ianm Apprentice

You pretty much sound like me when I was 27 except I was very overweight. I would get so hungry that I would clean the kitchen out of food in an hour or two. The fatique and brain fog were the worst. I would be completely unable to connect with reality. The gas and bloating made me feel like I was going to explode. Hang in there it DOES get better and we are only a few mouse clicks away.

cdford Contributor

It does sound very much like some of us. I went back and forth between being too thin and too large until my last child was born...then it was too large to even larger. I had all the symptoms you describe plus some. Going gluten-free was the best thing that could have happened to me. It took a while and I went through what is best described as a detox stage, but it has been well worth the effort. This lifestyle can feel overwhelming at first, but then you get the hang of it and as the symptoms begin to fade away you begin to feel more like you knew you could. As soon your tests are over, go for it. Do your research, clean your kitchen out, and just go for it. You won't regret it.

missla3000 Rookie

Thanks guys - I have had a real bad couple of days and had to go to bed after most meals this week! I have locked myself away in my pc room to get as much info as I can! This site really helps .....!! xxxxxxxxxxxx

SharonF Contributor

It was hard for me to adjust to the gluten-free diet, but I felt sooo much better after doing so, that's there's no point in looking back. I hope that you can soon feel better soon, as well.

Lesliean Apprentice

Missla3000- I so feel for you. Did you know depression is a major symptom of Celiacs as is fatigue and brain fog? I am glad you have a good doctor to check out all the possible reasons for your condition but everything you have said certianly sounds like Celiacs to me. When you go gluten-free you might be so happy with the results. You might find you get your life back and can enjoy your son so much more.

Ravenously hungry is common. It went away for me though, and for the first time in my life I was content with food. I too am a fitness freak and feel so much better now. Being a fitness nut did make learning what I needed to do easier. I was already used to self-discipline and conscientious eating.

If your blood work was positive, I think you are positive for Celiacs. The biopsy is checking for the damage from Celiacs and is not always required now. See:

Open Original Shared Link

for current articles on Celiacs and gluten sensitivity. The damage to the villi sometimes causes at least temporary problems with dairy too so you might keep a watch on problems with dairy (bloat, diarhea, gas-I know they overlap with the gluten symptoms) and you might need a calcium supplement for a while.

Please keep us up to date with you.

Leslie

missla3000 Rookie

Lesie, thankyou so much for your reply - do you know that its that bad that your reply made me cry!!! I so want to feel normal again and enjoy my son like you said its so hard. But hey despite everything I have been gluten free for 3 days and wow wow wow what an amazing few days I had !!! Yes I will take a look at that site and keep in touch. I had a bad day today - even tho im sure I aint had No gluten - dunno what it is - could it be my body adjusting as I feel much lighter and not much brain fog but still stomach pains - how long can it take>??? God thanks for the reply - Im fairly alone in this and the worse thing is my 6 year old son has been amazing, he helps and understands more than anyone as I always explain that if I have to lie down its coz of the food my tummy doesnt like..Leslie can I ask what kind of fitness your into - i do yoga, running and mostly weight training.......???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missla3000 Rookie

Hy again - Im just wondering if any of you guys have ever experienced upper back pain (where the oesophagus is) My doctor has ruled out any oesophagus problems but is this part of celiacs at all?? I havent seen this as a symptom anywhere but I seem to get it everyday!????????

Archived