pele

Vitamin C For The Digestion-impaired?

Rate this topic

Hi All

After 2 1/2 gluten-free years I still cannot tolerate ascorbic acid. Even small amounts (under 500mg) cause gut pain and D. I tried to use it sublingually and that didn't work either. I would like to be able to take Vitamin C. Has anyone had a similar experience and found a brand they can tolerate? Is there such a thing as transdermal Vitamin C?

Hi All

After 2 1/2 gluten-free years I still cannot tolerate ascorbic acid. Even small amounts (under 500mg) cause gut pain and D. I tried to use it sublingually and that didn't work either. I would like to be able to take Vitamin C. Has anyone had a similar experience and found a brand they can tolerate? Is there such a thing as transdermal Vitamin C?

How about Emergen-C? It's bufferred vitamin c with magnesium and potassium- in th vitamin or cold section at the drug store. It's a little packet you mix in your water. Comes in a variety of flavors.

I haven't had any problems w/ Vit C but my brother has. He doesn't have celiac though--he's got an ulcer. You should discuss this with your doctor as soon as you can, because this far after going gluten-free you may not be dealing with celiac-related damage to the small intestine. There may be something else going on in there.

But on a related note--do you find that vitamin C from food causes the same reaction? For instance can you drink orange juice, eat mangos, strawberries, and the like? What about processed foods fortified with Vit C? If those are all fine for you, you might want to consider trying to take your Vit C w/ food, or even just via food. I usually do that--I just get some mango juice whenever I've got a cold, and then get my regular Vit C from my daily gluten-free multi-vitamin.

Good luck! I hope you're feeling better soon, and that you figure out this mystery. I think it's safe to say we all know how frustrating medical mysteries can be... :)

Hi All