This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Swollen, Throbbing, Aching Finger A Symptom?

ratty89

ratty89 Rookie

Hey, kind of new around here but love the discussion and stories everyone tells.

I thought Id chime in with something that was different that happened to me and was wondering if it had happened to anyone else and what they thought the cause was.

I have been gluten free and dairy free for about two months which has been going great. Tummys feeling pretty happy and the ecezma I had on my hands etc has almost gone.

I was jst making myself some luch and preping some Gluten-free Casein-free bread for the breadmaker. I came back and sat down at my desk after eating and noticed my middle finger (which is the only left to be slightly eczema-y) was swollen, throbbing and painful. My figer joint was aching and now my whole hand kind of is. This hasnt really happened to me before, although this particular finger has been a bit swollen for ages which I put down to the eczema.

I was wondering if perhaps this was a sign of glutening?

The pasta I ate, I have often. Its a reputable brand, and I prepared it the same was as usual with sunflower seeds and balsamic vinegar.

The bread recipe I was making is a bit different to my normal one. I used tapioca flour which I never have before, but I thought this would not make much different as its pretty much same diff as arrowroot which I use alot. Otherwise the rest of the flours (buckwheat and millet) and other ingredients (yeast, olive oil, honey, egg, salt) are all standard and I have never noticed this problem before.

Thoughts??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

I've read that nightshades can cause small joint inflamation. Are you eating a lot of potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant or paprika since you started eating gluten-free? You might be sensitive to those.

Gemini Experienced
Hey, kind of new around here but love the discussion and stories everyone tells.

I thought Id chime in with something that was different that happened to me and was wondering if it had happened to anyone else and what they thought the cause was.

I have been gluten free and dairy free for about two months which has been going great. Tummys feeling pretty happy and the ecezma I had on my hands etc has almost gone.

I was jst making myself some luch and preping some Gluten-free Casein-free bread for the breadmaker. I came back and sat down at my desk after eating and noticed my middle finger (which is the only left to be slightly eczema-y) was swollen, throbbing and painful. My figer joint was aching and now my whole hand kind of is. This hasnt really happened to me before, although this particular finger has been a bit swollen for ages which I put down to the eczema.

I was wondering if perhaps this was a sign of glutening?

The pasta I ate, I have often. Its a reputable brand, and I prepared it the same was as usual with sunflower seeds and balsamic vinegar.

The bread recipe I was making is a bit different to my normal one. I used tapioca flour which I never have before, but I thought this would not make much different as its pretty much same diff as arrowroot which I use alot. Otherwise the rest of the flours (buckwheat and millet) and other ingredients (yeast, olive oil, honey, egg, salt) are all standard and I have never noticed this problem before.

Thoughts??

I hate to say this but you may want to be screened for Rheumatoid arthritis, which is one of the most common associated problems with Celiac. You may be triggering for that. Swollen, achy joints are the number one symptom of the disease and it can start with just one joint and progress. I hope not but you should keep that in mind if the problem does not go away or recurs.

ratty89 Rookie

Thanks for the thoughts guys,

I do have quite a bit of tomato I suppose, but I try to stay away from potato and arent really into any other nightshades.

I might check out this arthritis though.... since this same hand gets very achy if I write with it too long...how do they diagnose it?

mushroom Proficient

They start with a blood test to see if you are RA sero positive or negative, but just because you're negative doesn't mean there isn't something arthritic going on. I am RA negative but have psoriatic arthritis which is psoriasis in conjunction with the arthritis, but a different form of RA. I was first diagnosed with polymylalgia rheumatica, then RA and then psoriatic arthritis as my symptoms progressed. It is basically diagnosed on joint involvement, presence or absence of swelling, stiffness, how long it takes to get moving in the a.m. when you first get up. My hands would be like claws, couldn't move them, but they would gradually "thaw" out and start moving again. We will hope what you have will resolve after a while on the gluten free diet, as happens with many posters :)

Archived