positivenrgfairy

Terrible Reaction, Don't Know Why

Rate this topic

Hello all. I am very new to this. I had an awful reaction today and can't figure out where it came form. First, my symptoms:

heartburn, terrible bloating feeling, severe depression and irritability, anal area pain

These are my most common symptoms, but I am also susceptible to a slew of other GI problems and acute skin rash but those haven't shown up yet.

I will tell you, I ate a cookie yesterday, thinking it was gluten free, then realized that I picked up the wrong bag at the grocery store. I took one bite out of, realized it was the wrong kind, and spit it out and then washed my mouth out. no reaction until 12 hours later.

today i ate:

banana and peanut butter

edemame

pirate's booty

starbucks coffee soy frappacino

then poof around 4pm I started having a terrible reaction and I don't know where it came from.

other than the cookie (and maybe a kiss from my husband 3 hours after he ate a sandwhich) I can't think of what would be doing this. this is a very SEVERE reaction - the worst I've had in a really long time.

any advice? My reactions usually show up really quickly. if it WAS the cookie, why did it hit me so much later and so hard?

Thanks in advance.

This is just a wild shot in the dark and I have no evidence to back this up.... but I always react to Starbucks coffee and no other kind. My symptoms are brain fog, major fatigue, and irritability/depression. Have you been drinking Starbucks beverages with no reactions in the recent past? Did you alert the barista that you have celiac disease and they need to sterilize the blender before s/he prepared your drink? Cross-contamination may be the culprit.

The other theory is perhaps you had an initially very mild reaction to the cookie (because you spit it out and rinsed your mouth asap) and then once you drank the coffee it sort of triggered or worsened the impact of the glutening?

Depending on how long you've been gluten-free, you'll likely start to react more strongly to accidental poisonings and it may take longer to see a reaction.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Jillian

Hello all. I am very new to this. I had an awful reaction today and can't figure out where it came form. First, my symptoms:

heartburn, terrible bloating feeling, severe depression and irritability, anal area pain

These are my most common symptoms, but I am also susceptible to a slew of other GI problems and acute skin rash but those haven't shown up yet.

I will tell you, I ate a cookie yesterday, thinking it was gluten free, then realized that I picked up the wrong bag at the grocery store. I took one bite out of, realized it was the wrong kind, and spit it out and then washed my mouth out. no reaction until 12 hours later.

today i ate:

banana and peanut butter

edemame

pirate's booty

starbucks coffee soy frappacino

then poof around 4pm I started having a terrible reaction and I don't know where it came from.

other than the cookie (and maybe a kiss from my husband 3 hours after he ate a sandwhich) I can't think of what would be doing this. this is a very SEVERE reaction - the worst I've had in a really long time.

any advice? My reactions usually show up really quickly. if it WAS the cookie, why did it hit me so much later and so hard?

Thanks in advance.

It could have been any of the three or all of them. Even though you spit the cookie out some of it would have gotten into your system the minute it went into your mouth. If possible try to get your hubby into the habit of brushing his teeth after he eats a gluten food. If he gets into the habit you won't ever have to hold him at arms length and ask him to go brush his teeth first, kind of a mood breaker.

Another thing is the pnut butter, is this jar a new jar that only you use? It needs to be as well as all condiments, butter etc. Even a crumb left by a bit of gluten can cause a reaction. Your dealing with an autoimmune reaction so the amount of pain we get can be severe from even the smallest amount.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

I have researched and have been assured that there is no Gluten in Sonic's Java Chillers (It's mainly ice cream and coffee) yet everytime I have one, it gives me a lot of symptoms too. It has been suggested to me that for some reason the coffee might just irritate our bowels since they are more sensative than others.