netteredl

Breathing Symptoms For Celiac

Rate this topic

I am just curious if anyone ever experienced shortness of breath before they were diagnosed with Celiac disease? I have been recently diagnosed and It took well over two years to find out what was wrong. Finally a blood test showed that I am very anemic and deficient in iron, B, and D. The Doctors think that the shortness of breath was coming from being anemic. After being on the gluten free diet and Dairy free the shortness of breath has subsided. Just curious if anyone had this symptom also. Thanks

I'm not diagnosed celiac, but rather gluten intolerant. Yes, I had the shortness of breath and still do occasionally. My doctor says it's related to B deficiency (if I recall correctly). When I start having the issue again, I usually realize that I am out of my B complex. I'm one who believes I'll always need some supplementation. I don't think the malabsorption issues can ever be totally resolved for some people. But if I take my supplements and eat right, I feel great!

Shirley

Blog: gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com

Leader, King George Gluten Intolerance and Celiac Group

Before diagnosis I had chronic bronchitis since childhood and was diagnosed with ashtma a couple years before I was diagnosed celiac and put on singulair and an inhalor. I was told these issues were directly related to my smoking and my mothers smoking when I was a child. I haven't had an asthma attack since I went gluten free nor have I had bronchitis. I had been an undiagnosed celiac since childhood and believe these both were related to the inflammation from the gluten. I had lung fuction testing done a couple years ago and the tech lectured me at length about my smoking and how much damage it was doing to my lungs. As the test went on he actually seemed to get angry the longer the testing went on the angrier he got until he was basically yelling at me by the end, and quite disrespectful. He refused to tell me anything about the tests but when I went to see the doctor he was quite shocked that the results were perfectly normal. In my particular case the lung issues do seem to have been directly a result of the gluten.

Yes! My first symptoms were extreme tachycardia and sob. Did not find out until 10 months later that I was anemic and another 6 months to find out my ferritin was in the ditch. I believe my symptoms to be from this. I still have problems with it but not as severe now. I am still being treated for the anemia/low ferritin.

Thank you for responding. I find that I still can not tolerate dairy products and if I eat something that has dairy, gluten or wheat the shortness of breath returns quickly. I am on a lot of vitamins and that seems to be helping with the shortness of breath. I find that on the gluten free diet I am not having allergy symptoms to the weather....amazing. Thanks again.

I'm not diagnosed celiac, but rather gluten intolerant. Yes, I had the shortness of breath and still do occasionally. My doctor says it's related to B deficiency (if I recall correctly). When I start having the issue again, I usually realize that I am out of my B complex. I'm one who believes I'll always need some supplementation. I don't think the malabsorption issues can ever be totally resolved for some people. But if I take my supplements and eat right, I feel great!

Shirley

Blog: gfe--gluten free easily at http://glutenfreeeasily.com

Leader, King George Gluten Intolerance and Celiac Group